What does the “time” that appears when clicking “preview” in publishing indicate for?

12-26-2018 10:57 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

What does the “time” that appears when clicking “preview” in publishing indicate for?

I couldn’t figure out what the time that appears when clicking “preview” in publishing indicate for?

Thank you

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
7 Replies
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Jamal NUMAN

According to this documentation (Previewing your map—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 😞

"The Time field on the top menu bar shows display performance in seconds as you pan, zoom, and navigate around your map. The time reported represents the amount of time it takes for the server to draw a map image covering the full window area. This will help you obtain a better understanding of how your map will perform and respond when accessed through a client application."

I hope this answers your question! Feel free to reach out if you have additional/follow up questions.

Cheers,

Joe

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Many thanks Joe for the help.

In the screenshot below, the preview time is 1.08 seconds to draw the service (contains one layer of 300,000 records). However, when consuming this layer, drawing it will be taking much more time that the 1.08 second! How this can be understood?

Jamal Numan
DanielCota1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jamal,

I can explain that. The draw time for the service, when it is being consumed, is going to differ from that within the Preview in Desktop. In the documentation that Joe provided, it mentions that this is meant to give you an idea for how the service will perform when being used in external clients.

When you have a map service, there are a lot more variables that come into play when it comes to draw speed and overall service performance. These are things like network speed, server machine resources, and database performance (if the data source is registered). As such, it would be expected that a service will take a little longer to draw since there is much more work happening behind the scenes rather than just a simple query to the data.

I hope this helps!

-Daniel

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Daniel,

To avoid the inclusion of all other factors (network speed, server machine resources, and database performance, etc.), I installed ArcGIS Desktop and Server in the same test machine. Nevertheless, the preview time is never achieved when consuming the service. The service preview\display\render when executing pan\zoom\query is much higher than the preview time.

Jamal Numan
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I suggest you take a look at the Server logs when panning/zooming around in the map service:

Troubleshooting map service performance with server logs—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Map service log codes—ArcGIS Server Administration (Windows) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

In the second link, search for the Example: ExportMapImage section that describes the different operations involved in generating the export map images. While there's no equivalent logging in Desktop, (aside from SDEINTERCEPTS), you can at least determine what operation(s) are taking the most time in the map service by checking the log entries.

AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Jamal,

This is the Map display performance in seconds at that scale "1:23118" . Its the  mxd performance at this location of the map  at this extent. 

It doesn't mean that the service will have the same performance, but this is a method that helps you to find out if you're MXD is well designed at that scale (not showing too many features that will affect the server performance). 

You can almost  get the same number if you used Mxd Prefstat. always make sure that this number is less than 3 seconds. also, when you run the mxd prefstat enter the X and Y for the most crowded  area in your MXD .

mxdperfstat10.6.exe -mxd "D:\A.mxd" -xy -73.985;40.754

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Is the preview tool available in Pro?

Clip_566.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos