Webgisdr restore error "The publicPortalURL in the web GIS backup does not match the publicPortalURL"

09-23-2023 04:57 PM
coolgis
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I am doing webgisdr on new set of servers with a new Load balancer URL than that of of current deployment that I have taken webgisdr backup.

ArcGis 10.8.1 to 10.8.1 (new Servers)

I am getting errors:

"Failed to validate the publicPortalURL for Portal for ArcGIS. The publicPortalURL in the web GIS backup does not match the publicPortalURL in the current web GIS.

Failed to validate the Portal for ArcGIS for the web GIS. The Portal for ArcGIS in the web GIS backup does not match the Portal for ArcGIS in the current web GIS.

Exiting the WebGIS DR utility."

Is There a way i can bypass this error and import successfully .

I will not be change the LB/Portal url as I have the production system is using the same url.

Is there any other way to import the data into the new 10.8.1 enterprise setup without using webgisdr? ( End goal is to upgrade to 11.1)

Windows 2019 server OS.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonathanEpstein
Occasional Contributor

In my experience with Webgisdr (on Linux) one must creatively use /etc/hosts on the old and new environments in a manner that the old and new hostnames will match, at least from the viewpoint of DNS.

In general I think that /etc/hosts (and its Windows equivalent) are a poor way to manage DNS lookups.   But for Webgisdr backup/restore/migration I think they're essential.

This advice came to us from an outstanding Esri Professional Services engineer, whom we've worked with extensively.

coolgis
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

I have made the changes to etc/hosts of the machines to match old url and point to webadaptor IP.

But i have issues with portal servie URL redirecting/resolving to web adaptor machine but not going to services machineip.

can you please list the steps you have done.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JonathanEpstein
Occasional Contributor

I don't think I can provide the level of detail you're seeking @coolgis .   But I will say that in the shared "internal" /etc/hosts file discussed here, I always use the private IP of the web adaptor machines.   Never the public IP.    This helps a lot IMO, because it excludes from your debugging, whatever load-balancing or other routing is associated with your web adaptors.

WillemJ
Emerging Contributor

A bit late, but maybe useful for people running into this message.

We've had this too and were able to fix it by setting WebContextURL of the destination portal to the same as the source portal. You can do it here:

https://**unspecified**/arcgis/portaladmin/system/properties/update

and set it to this: {"WebContextURL":"https://[yourpublicname]/arcgis"}

Here is some official documentation: Integrate your portal with a reverse proxy or load balancer—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for Ar...

0 Kudos