web adaptor question for portal & server

03-30-2023 09:44 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a question in regards to if we use two web adaptors for one servicing portal and the other servicing server. How is this different than one adaptor for portal and server. does it also make sense to install the web adaptors on a new server in itself? Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User ,

It's recommended to use separate web adaptors for portal and server.  I don't think having one for both is technically supported.

I usually recommend having the web adaptors installed on a dedicated web server in a DMZ if ArcGIS Enterprise is going to be externally accessible (outside your Org's firewall).  However, if ArcGIS Enterprise is internal only, it's fine to have the web adaptors installed on an existing server (i.e. both installed on portal server).  The web adaptor is a very small application and barely consumes any resources to run.

TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

If you are asking about installing the Web Adaptor twice on the same server (once for Portal and once for GIS Server, with different names specified), this is supported. A web adaptor can only be configured as one type (Portal/GIS Server) and a Portal installation can only be registered with one web adaptor. This avoids any confusion with URLs between the two systems. A GIS Site can have multiple web adaptors set up with them. We have one on the DMZ server (Admin access disabled) and one on an internal server (Admin access enabled)