Web Adaptor -->Error when firing it up

04-16-2013 01:43 PM
ShawnCarson
New Contributor III
Hello,

I installed the web adaptor for IIS   with no issues but when the initial web page tries to come up I am getting the below error.
My IIS settings have all the requirements listed in the help doc. I believe my machine meets all the system requirements.

I installed successfully to Win2008r2 successfully off the exact same ico image. The web page came up no problem.

Server and IIS seem to be running fine I have been able to publish services, create web apps (js), etc etc on this laptop.
I have the System.Security assembly registered in my C:\Windows\assembly folder.

I can't think of what may be causing this.

I have unistalled Web-adaptor and re-installed, no luck.

Possible related link: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/80023-Web-Adapter-Installation-Error-Problem

Win7 sp1 (hp laptop)
ArcGIS_Server 10.1 (sp1)
IIS (6.1) and ArcGIS server installed on same machine.
no Citrix
no windows domain account
no active Directory

Thanks for any clues

**************Error Error Error***************

The system cannot find the file specified.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[CryptographicException: The system cannot find the file specified.
]
   System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.CreateProvHandle(CspParameters parameters, Boolean randomKeyContainer) +369
   System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.GetKeyPairHelper(CspAlgorithmType keyType, CspParameters parameters, Boolean randomKeyContainer, Int32 dwKeySize, SafeProvHandle& safeProvHandle, SafeKeyHandle& safeKeyHandle) +151
   System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider.GetKeyPair() +85
   System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider.ExportParameters(Boolean includePrivateParameters) +98
   ESRI.ArcGIS.WebAdaptor.Config.SetupUI() +378
   ESRI.ArcGIS.WebAdaptor.Config.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +76
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +25
   System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +42
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +132
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +66
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2428

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5466; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5456
0 Kudos
14 Replies
GaryBilotta
New Contributor III
It is a fresh installation and both arcgis server and web adaptor are at sp0.  I was planning to upgrade to sp1 after I successfully installed arcgis server and the web adaptor.  Thank you.
0 Kudos
GaryBilotta
New Contributor III
I think I solved it.  I went to the arcgis application in iis and then changed the asp.net impersonation user to a domain account.  It was set to authenticated user by default.  It seems to be working for now.  I've had an incident in with esri since last Thursday and when I talk to them next, I'll see if they have anything to say about the change in case there may be a negative effect with it.
0 Kudos
GaryBilotta
New Contributor III
Interesting, I just took a look at a test server where the web adaptor installed just fine and asp.net impersonation is disabled by default.  That server is Windows 2008r2 though.
0 Kudos
JasonHansel
New Contributor

I ran into this issue before with 10.2 and again with 10.2.2. For me I had to change the Authentication Settings in IIS to use 'Windows Authentication'. Worked like a charm.

0 Kudos
PaulBatley
New Contributor III

Chaps,

I have had this problem but only in relation to changing the AppPool user as we have multiple WebAdaptors within multiple sites on the same IIS instance.
So traffic from one site does not affect the AppPool from another site, the AppPools required different instances/identities i.e. ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool for the Default Site and ANotherWebAdaptorAppPool for ANother Site. The cryptography error occurs only when I moved away from the Default - ArcGISWebApatorAppPool user Identity...? So I discovered that The WebAdaptor installer set 'Load User Profile' to 'True' for the ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool. My ANotherWebAdaptorAppPool didn't have it set up and therefore couldn't use the 'Windows Cryptographic Service Provider' therefore making Cryptographic Context unavailable as this is only available to windows account within the .NET framework.  'Load User Profile' elevates the AppPool identity to a sudo user level enabling it to use the 'Windows Cryptographic Service Provider'.

0 Kudos