VectorTile Caching is faster?

Jump to solution
01-21-2016 01:46 PM
ChrisMathers
Occasional Contributor III

Vector tiles are supposed to be faster to cache. How much faster is it really? Could I update the caches of a couple services every weekend? The best practice has always been not to cache things that change frequently like parcels but that is a very feature dense layer so with labels it can be slow to load. If we could update the cache over the weekend for a service with only parcels, addresses, and street centerlines it would be great.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanDowning
Occasional Contributor

I've been testing this recently and so far the vector tiles have been significantly faster. I've done parcels for the entire state of Florida down to 1:1128 in about 15 minutes. Adding labels seemed to double the time to about 30 minutes. The size was also considerably smaller coming in at at around 400 MB, compared to multiple hours and gigs previously. My guess is you could easily do this over the weekend depending on the size of the area you are covering.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanDowning
Occasional Contributor

I've been testing this recently and so far the vector tiles have been significantly faster. I've done parcels for the entire state of Florida down to 1:1128 in about 15 minutes. Adding labels seemed to double the time to about 30 minutes. The size was also considerably smaller coming in at at around 400 MB, compared to multiple hours and gigs previously. My guess is you could easily do this over the weekend depending on the size of the area you are covering.

ChrisMathers

Good grief, that's way faster. Definitely worth it for me. I would just be doing a single Florida county. Now to convince IT to let me upgrade to AGS 10.4.

0 Kudos
DanDowning
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure you can actually create vector tiles with 10.4. I think you can only do it with ArcGIS Pro 1.2, and right now you can only publish vector tiles to AGOL and Portal, not directly to ArcGIS server.

0 Kudos
ChrisMathers

Hmm. I'll get up with my POC at esri professional services and get clarification. I've held off on installing portal but have recently had a few cases where it would be useful so it may be time to do it with the update to AGS 10.4.

0 Kudos