Use SAML authentication and Basic Authentication in parallel?

09-21-2017 01:07 AM
NicoleSulzberger
Occasional Contributor

There are two type of clients accessing our ArcGIS Enterprise Infrastructure. One client is a JavaScript Web application where users are authorized at the ArcGIS Portal via SAML, and so they can access their protected services.

The other client is a WMS client where users will access their protected services. Usually it will be ArcMap, but other WMS clients will be used too. Thats why we would like to make these services accessible over «Basic Authentication» (IIS, web-tier).

You cannot use authentication at web tier and portal tier at the same time as far as I understand, but I do not want to build a separate ArcGIS Server site just for the WMS services. Would it be possible that the JavaScript application will access the services over the web adaptor oft the portal, and the WMS client will access the ArcGIS Server Site over the web adaptor of the Site?

I have painted it on a graphic, would be great if anybody could help!

bye, Nicole

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

Here We have a similar situation, but We decided to create a different group on Portal (Group 3) for Specific Situations like WMS services for Customers connected outside the network with a exclusive user/login for then.

I don´t know yet if it´s the best solution, but it´s working for us.

0 Kudos
NicoleSulzberger
Occasional Contributor

Hi Luiz

Thank you very much for your input! It looks like this is the most appropriate solution for that case, I think we'll go into a similar direction. 

As we need a separate entry point for the WMS users, we'll use the proxy provided by Esri to redirect their request to the portal.