I am trying to upgrade our Enterprise to 10.7, and the it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have stopped and restarted it, and it always seems to be stuck here, with no progress being shown.
The Task Manager seems to show that it's doing something, but other than that, I've got no feedback whether the installation is working or not.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Portal upgrade from 10.6.1 to 10.7.1 took 3.5 hours on our non-HA internal business system. All totaled approximately 7 hours for the complete enterprise component upgrade to 10.7.1, patching, reconfiguration of scripts, and basic validation of the post-upgrade status for our business system.
Right...It is ridiculous. Come on ESRI build some efficiency into your installers. I have 14 servers in my Enterprise environment. It is a monumental task when Portal installs and seems like just sits there for hours....HOURS. The processors are barely being used. Then when you think you are close the ConfiguationUtilityCL.exe just churns away at I don't know what.
We're continually looking at how we package all of the different components and items in the installer to improve the times, but there's definitely still work to do.
In terms of the ConfigurationUtilityCL.exe process, it's iterating through the install directory as well as the content directory to apply permissions. There are more than 100k individual files within the content directory on a new install, so once you add user content, the time it takes for the utility to run can take a long time.
This is an upgrade from 10.7 so not even a major release. Permissions should be set. Anyway just frustrated. Means for a verrrrry long day for me. I am even doing a silent install through Chef Server. The process from Chef timed out twice already.
I wish ESRI's business model would focus more on QA/QC than new exciting functionality. I know the latter is more eye popping cool but I think it would be a lot cooler if the software just worked well without all the bugs and issues.
I'm on track for a 12 hour Portal install because for some reason it takes an hour to install each Portal patch, not to mention the 4 hours it took to install Portal. And this is a fresh installation, not an upgrade.
I keep getting the message "Installer is no longer responding" and I have to click retry in order for it to proceed, yet it won't proceed until I click retry. So that means I have to babysit the installation for 12+ hours. Very frustrating.
Part of my problem may have been due to the (Virtual) Machine being under-resourced. I had 2 cores and 8GB RAM but the install spent a lot of time with CPU and Memory usage at ~100%. This can have knock-on effects: it turned out that the Data Store was (eventuallly) configured to 'READONLY' mode. So if you are having trouble validating your federated Server after a long install, this might be worth checking. You can see this property by running the 'describedatastore' tool - look for 'Data Store Mode' near the bottom...
Another upgrade-duration report FYI: ~4hrs. (i.e., "several minutes" indeed)
About a month ago (~1 week before 10.8.1 release) had completed a brand-new/from-scratch AGE 10.7.1 on a reasonably respectable 4-core 16G RAM 2T HD WinSvr 2019 VM. Fully operational, but still non-production and essentially "fresh"/"clean" - only has a couple "starter" users created, no content yet. Decided to upgrade it to 10.8.1 prior to production.
The Portal install sat with an empty "Status:" and zero progress bar for well over an hour, but Task Manager at least showed some minimal activity (which I'm guessing is a backup phase), so I just baby-sat it and waited.
The first indication of "it's actually alive" didn't occur til after that (maybe 1.5hr in) when it finally started "doing things" and the progress bar jumped to >50% (ish) where it again sat for a while. Roughly 30min later the progress bar jumps to >90% (ish) and you reach the "Status: Removing files" phase - the progress bar is reset during this, and took another ~30min, but at least you can see "File:"names changing. After that phase, it again resets back to "Status:" blank and zero progress bar, Task Manager shows 0 cpu usage and a static memory footprint for the installer process, so I begin thinking "uh-oh", but I continue to wait. About 30min later get "Status: Copying new files" and progress bar gradually fills (~5min ish)) then stalls at 100% and sits for a bit (~10min ish). Then "Status: Component registration" (~5min ish) then "Status: Copying new files" again - progress bar slowly increments maybe 3%/min, about ~30min ish total, many "File:"name updates during. Then at ~95% progress bar you reach "Status: Installing new services" (~5min ish), then "Status: Configuring the service" (0% cpu during, ~5min ish), then again a brief empty "Status:" and zero progress bar (~5min ish), then, finally, thankfully... "Portal for ArcGIS 10.8.1 has been successfully installed".