Select to view content in your preferred language

Upgrading ArcSDE from 9.3.1 to 10.2

Jump to solution
05-04-2014 10:01 PM
JayakumarKamalakkannan
Emerging Contributor
Dear All,

I need to know is it possible to upgrade ArcSDE 9.3.1 to 10.2 with the versions created in 9.3.1. If yes kindly send me the ways and suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
K.Jayakumar
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NidhinKarthikeyan
Honored Contributor

But I need to know that you have replied that preserving versions is possible by adopting the steps in the links provided.

I had mentioned that you can preserve the existing versions during Geodatabase upgrade. I refered to a smilar thread, where you can find the post by Jonathan De Rose.

The weblink which I had provided was for 'Preparing to upgrade a geodatabase in Oracle' and 'Steps for Upgrading a geodatabase in Oracle'. It wasn't for supporting my statement regarding preserving versions during Geodatabase upgrade.

I just did a quick test (Upgraded 9.3.1 Geodatabase with 3 versions to 10.2.2) and observed that the upgrade was done successfully.

Test it on a development or test server to ensure that it works with all your client applications. Also make sure you have complete backup of the database before upgrade.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Honored Contributor
Yes. You can upgrade your ArcDSE  9.3.1 Geodatabase to ArcSDE 10.2. Please mention the exact version of RDBMS(Oracle/SQL Server ex: Oracle 11.2.0.1). Before upgrading teh Geodatabase, we have to confirm whether the version of RDBMS at your end is compatible with ArcSDE 10.2.
0 Kudos
JayakumarKamalakkannan
Emerging Contributor
Hai,

Thanks for your reply. Please find the requirement in the attached screenshot.

Please note I have to upgrade with the versions.

Thanks in advance

K.Jayakumar
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Honored Contributor
You should mention the version of Oracle in this format:

Oracle 11g R2  11.2.0.1
Oracle 11g R2  11.2.0.3
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Honored Contributor
I saw Windows Server 2012 Standard in your Target Environment. If so, you have to use Oracle 11g R2 (64 bit) 11.2.0.3.

Oracle 11g R2 (64 bit) 11.2.0.1 is not supported in Windows Server 2012.

Test the new version on a development or test server to ensure that it works with all your client applications. Also make sure you have complete backup of the database before upgrade.
0 Kudos
JayakumarKamalakkannan
Emerging Contributor
Hai Nidhin,

Thanks for the reply. I need to know whether we can migrate the ArcSDE with the versions created in 9.3.1 or not. If yes what are the steps need to be consider.

K.Jayakumar
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Honored Contributor
Yes. You can preserve the existing versions. Take a look at this thread.

You have to go through the two weblinks which I had provided.
0 Kudos
JayakumarKamalakkannan
Emerging Contributor
Dear Nidhin,

Thanks for your quick reply for my questions. But I need to know that you have replied that preserving versions is possible by adopting the steps in the links provided. I am not able to see any steps stated about version and as per ESRI KSA technical support team it is not possible to upgrade the SDE with versions created by the users.Kindly confirm me  if we follow the steps in the link will preserve the versions of 9.3.1 in 10.2.
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Honored Contributor

But I need to know that you have replied that preserving versions is possible by adopting the steps in the links provided.

I had mentioned that you can preserve the existing versions during Geodatabase upgrade. I refered to a smilar thread, where you can find the post by Jonathan De Rose.

The weblink which I had provided was for 'Preparing to upgrade a geodatabase in Oracle' and 'Steps for Upgrading a geodatabase in Oracle'. It wasn't for supporting my statement regarding preserving versions during Geodatabase upgrade.

I just did a quick test (Upgraded 9.3.1 Geodatabase with 3 versions to 10.2.2) and observed that the upgrade was done successfully.

Test it on a development or test server to ensure that it works with all your client applications. Also make sure you have complete backup of the database before upgrade.
0 Kudos