Upgraded to 10.5, can no longer publish services...

02-22-2017 12:25 PM
MarkLittell
New Contributor III

Upgraded from 10.4.1 to 10.5

I applied the 10.5 publishing patch

Copied the the st_geometry.so and libst_raster_pg.so from Desktop to the Linux server running the PostgreSQL 9.3

When I try to publish a new or update an existing service ArcMap returns the following error message:

Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed.

ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the server's log for more details.

Please consult the GP Results Window for enhanced error description or contact your administrator for the server logs.

The Server Logs read:

Error executing tool. PublishServiceDefinition Job ID: j868d0fe80d114806ab528cf36ac3fe7f : ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the server's log for more details. ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service. Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).

System/PublishingTools.GPServer

Failed to create the service.: Updating the server connection string for layer Shelters - County failed. Attempted connection string was ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD=<snip>;SERVER=1XX.XXX.XXX.175;INSTANCE="DSID=<snip>";DBCLIENT=postgresql;DB_CONNECTION_PROPERTIES=1XX.XXX.XXX.175;DATABASE=sde;USER=sde;VERSION=sde.DEFAULT;AUTHENTICATION_MODE=DBMS. Table name is sde.sde.MyFeatureClass. Please verify the data exists on the server.

Failed to rename cache folder.

MyFolder/MyService _201702221422.MapServer

DoAfterSDExtraction failed.

SwizzleService failed.

Failed to rename cache folder.

MyFolder/MyService.MapServer

Method failed.HRESULT = 0x80070057 : The parameter is incorrect. .

Method failed.HRESULT = 0x80070057 : The parameter is incorrect. .

Service instance activation failed in 'MyFolder/MyService.MapServer'. AutomationException: 0x80004005 - Underlying DBMS error [FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command could not receive data from server: Software caused connection abort (0x00002745/10053)::SQLSTATE=57P01] [sde.DEFAULT] in 'esriDataSourcesGDB.SdeWorkspace.1'

Instance of service 'MyFolder/MyService.MapServer' failed to process a request.

Tags (1)
18 Replies
MarkLittell
New Contributor III

I've updated the SDE database to 10.5 - still get these errors.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I haven't looked in detail about your issue, but a couple quick thoughts...

- make sure you still have the propper permissions to all the data, folders, etc.

- is the data still registered?

- I remember seeing post on the "swizzle" before, so did a quick search..

Server 10.4 and Snoop Dog: Failed to Swizzle.....     which also points to

https://community.esri.com/thread/177553#comment-614422 

Those are talking about 10.4, but still might help.

0 Kudos
MarkLittell
New Contributor III

Thanks for the thoughts.

Yes the data source is still registered and the arcgis account has full control over the arcgisserver folder and sub folders.

FWIW: If you scroll through that thread you posted about, # 177553, you will see I was a part of it and had issues with publishing a service from a SQL server as the data source. It took a patch (10.4.1) from ESRI to get it fixed. I'm kind of hoping ESRI would also have a solution to this so I don't have to rebuild the entire server.

0 Kudos
CattyannCampbell
Occasional Contributor II

Having this issue after upgrading to 10.5, First I was told by tech support to upgrade the SQL Server 2008 R2 database which we did to SQL Server 2014 after the upgrade and upgrading our geodatabase to 10.5 we're still seeing the same problems trying to publish services from SDE although we can connect to the data in ArcCatalog. We're also having issues validating the sde instance in the data store. Although we can see the data in Catalog. The tech tried a bunch of stuff and six weeks later we're still having the same error. In addition, we also can't overwrite a service that's already been published without getting the 001369 error without get this changing the name of the MXD. It's a hot mess and I'm waiting on tech support for a resolution.

0 Kudos
MarkLittell
New Contributor III

I have two of these servers.

Last night I ended up uninstalling and then reinstalling 10.5 on the secondary server - I was then able to publish all 80+ services. Most services were using SDE as the datasource, some were using PostgreSQL 9.3, some were using MS SQL 2012, all installed without issue.

Looks like 10.5 is not the problem, it's because I upgraded from 10.41 to 10.5.

To Clarify - I still have one 10.5 server that I am unable to publish new or republish services on.

ESRI support - have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
ScottFierro2
Occasional Contributor III

So we had issues although I didn't go digging for the logs I immediately remembered the publishing patches in last few releases. Dug in and sure enough there is one for 10.5 already. Can't guarantee it's the silver lining as I don't know if you are doing publishing from Pro or not. If you install this I will say that after we did it our publishing was killed for not just Pro but desktop as well (desktop had been publishing fine prior to patch). Simple stop and restart of the publishing tools in manager fixed things and we have not seen issues since publishing from either. Can also say that a reboot of the server or the ArcServer service didn't correct things after the patch install either and only the recycling of the running Publishing Tools service resolved it.

http://support.esri.com/Products/Enterprise/arcgis-server/ArcGIS-GIS-Server/10-5#downloads?id=7464

MarkLittell
New Contributor III

Thank you Scott!

On my bad server, I was just about ready to uninstall ArcGIS and reinstall it - that's what fixed my other server - when I decided to stop the Publishing Tool per your suggestion.

I've rebooted the server multiple times over the past few days.

I stopped and restarted the Publishing Tool and am now able to publish new and update existing services.

Your suggestion just saved me 4 hours of work.

FWIW: I am using Desktop, not Pro. I tried the Publishing Patch on the first day I had issues, it did not resolve my problem. 

ScottFierro2
Occasional Contributor III

Good to hear and can't say what causes this or why it fixes things. Logic would be that cycling the ArcServer service or entire server itself would work but we have seen this issue in servers back to 10.2. Happens every once in a while after we do OS updates/patching and all I have ever reasonably deduced is that the ArcServer service is a delayed start service but the publishing tools spin up within that service so possibly the delayed start isn't enough for other necessary things to come up at the time the publishing tools initialize. Not sure, just know its been another of our identified ESRI quirks but the recycle of the Publish Tools itself hasn't failed us yet.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Scott,

ArcGIS Server 10.5 Service Publishing Patch

• BUG-000101955 - Publishing a query layer with binding variables from ArcGIS Pro fails.
  • BUG-000101954 - Map Service does not report timeInfo correctly in the layer resources for a query layer is made time aware by binding it to a parameter.
  • BUG-000101953 - Map service query operation, on a "query layer with binding variables", without time parameter uses the time value from the previous rest request.

This one not works in this case.

0 Kudos