upgraded ArcSDE 10.0 to 10.2.2, but unable to start the sde instance.

09-24-2015 01:24 PM
AllenGuan1
New Contributor II

Successfully upgraded a SDE database from ArcSDE 10.0/Oracle 11.2 (64 bit) to ArcSDE
10.2.2/Oracle 11.2 (64 bit). But unable to start the sde instance which resides
on a RHEL 6.2 server. The sdemon gives this error:

sdemon -o start -H /na1/software/esri/arcsde/sdeinstances/sdet_102 -p lk5js873j

DB_open_instance()::db_connect (OCI8) error: -1

init_DB DB_instance_open_as_dba: -51

DBMS error code: -1

Could not start ArcSDE -- Check Network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit.sde.

I don't have such a problem with ArcSDE 10.0/Oracle 11.2 on the same server. The upgraded 10.2.2 database
works fine with direct connect and has been used with ArcGIS 10.3 server and
Portal for 6 months with no issues. However, we need to start the sde instance
to support an application which only works with 3-tier (sde service)
connection.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NickHetrick
Occasional Contributor II

Did you install the ArcSDE application services after the database was upgraded to 10.2.2. Its slightly different than 10.0 if I remember correctly.

0 Kudos
AllenGuan1
New Contributor II

yes, I upgraded to 10.2.2 using 10.2.2 ArcCatalog, and installed SDE 10.2.2 on RHEL to start the service. Any detail of the differences?

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Installing the application server software isn't enough -- The configuration files must have correct values.  The error indicates that ORACLE_SID or TWO_TASK variable in dbinit.sde isn't set correctly, or that the client can't connect to the server for some reason. You really ought to contact Tech Support, because ironing out this sort of issue usually requires a great deal of back-and-forth.

- V

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

As Vince mentioned you must do some more "prep" work for 10.2.2 ArcSDE Services. Here is a direct link to the info Vince referenced about the ORACLE_SID or TWO_TASK variable in dbinit.sde ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Here is a link to the help documentation for Oracle on Linux: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Just start at the top and work your way down.........

-George

Geodatabase Enterprise GIS Managing Data

--- George T.