Updating the favicon for Portal for ArcGIS

03-26-2018 08:09 AM
MichaelSchoelen
Occasional Contributor III

I'm attempting to change the favicon for our Portal site (10.5.1). Upon loading, the favicon does not show up--not even the Esri default one.We followed the steps here: How To: Add a custom favicon to Portal for ArcGIS, but with no success. This included adding the favicon.ico image to the wwwroot folder and the webadaptor folder, then clearing the browser's cache.

Is there an updated procedure?

Favicon is missing from the tab in all browsers.

Tags (2)
13 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

I just dropped an icon into the root of my web server (not the web adaptor root), and it worked for me. I had to navigate to the site root (for me the IIS Start page) for the browser to 'see' it. After that, it was cached and just works.

MichaelSchoelen

Just to clarify the steps (sorry, my IIS skills are lackluster):

1. Generate a favicon .ico file
  2. Drop that icon into the wwwroot folder ("C:\inetpub\wwwroot" in our case)
  3. Clear the browser cache, restart the browser, and the icon should appear on the next load?

I followed those steps, but still not seeing the icon. 

0 Kudos
Gwynn
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

It may not display in the browser if the URL has been previously saved as a favorite/bookmark.  Have you tried to view it from another computer?

Can you confirm that C:\inetpub\wwwroot is the root folder of the website where the Web Adaptor is installed?

0 Kudos
RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor

Is this changed for 10.7? I put it in the wwwroot folder and the portal folder and nothing happens. According to fiddler its not even looking for a favicon.ico

0 Kudos
Gwynn
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

This is actually a capability of the browser.  Usually if it does not display it is because:

• The website was bookmarked or saved as a favorite.
  • The image is not a true .ico file or was not created as 16x16 pixels or 32x32 pixels and 8-bit or 24-bit colors
  • The browser cache and history has not been cleared.

What browser are you using? Have you tested in other browsers?  Chrome, for example, will not display the favicon in the address but will display it in the tab.

RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor

I've tried it in Chrome and IE

it is 16x16 and I've used this ico on another IIS web server and it works fine, I can go to <URLroot>/favicon.ico and it comes up but <URLroot>/portal/favicon.ico throws a 500 internal server error

edit: I came in this morning and its working now  no idea why it didn't yesterday but maybe it helps to restart?

Gwynn
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

That is awesome!  Sometimes things are cached and do not display correctly right away.... or maybe it was the phase of the moon 😉 

Also, the reason you were not able to access the favicon.ico from <URLroot>/portal/favicon.ico is because "/portal" is the web adaptor which works like a forward proxy redirecting requests to Portals internal web server.  That URL returned a 500 error because favicon.ico is not located in the Portal internal web server.

Glad it is now working for you.

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

@MichaelSchoelen @Gwynn @RyanColeman @RandallWilliams 

I'm trying to do the same thing. I have the favicon ready, but I do not have permission to paste a file in that location. Is there a way I can do that from Portal Admin?

0 Kudos
Gwynn
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

No, you would not be able to access the location from Portal Admin.  Whoever manages your web server should be able to drop it in the web server's root folder.  In IIS the default website is "C:\inetpub\wwwroot" assuming it is a Windows server.