Unable to start GeoAnalyticsTools

02-05-2018 12:46 AM
ChenChen3
New Contributor

Hi,

I was trying to start GeoAnalyticsTools, however, an error saying "Failed to start one or more services. 'A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at character 1 of'" was returned. I tried to locate a corrupted json file, but no information about the location was provided in the logs. Does anyone has run to this problem before? Any ideas? The server has been federated, and a spatial-temporal data store has also been configured. 

Server version: 10.5.1

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hi Chen Chen

Thanks for your question. I have a few questions and suggestions to get you started:

1. When you say you are trying to start GeoAnalytics Tools, how are you trying to start them? The correct way is to enable them through your portal > Organization > Edit Settings > Servers > Feature Analysis – GeoAnalytics Tools. If you aren’t setting them that way, can you please try that? (Step 8 here)
  2. If that doesn’t work, can you try stopping your ArcGIS Server service (on all machines with a GeoAnalytics Server)? In Windows 10 go to the Windows start menu > type services > Open the services desktop app > Select ArcGIS Server > Restart. After a few minutes try and set the GeoAnalytics server again.

If both of these steps don’t work, can you please contact technical support? They will be able to assist you in troubleshooting the cause of this issue. 

Please let me know if that helped, or if you are seeing a new error.

Sarah Ambrose

GeoAnalytics Product Engineer

0 Kudos
ChenChen3
New Contributor

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, actually I was trying to enable them in Portal at first, but the error returned, so I went to server manager and tried to start the tool there, and the same error returned. I have restarted the services several times and also the machine, but no luck. Some follow-ups on the json file, I was able to locate a corrupted json file -lifecycleinfos.json - under \arcgisserver\config-store\services\System\GeoAnalyticsTools.GPServer\esriinfo (the file was filled with spaces), so I did some more tests. I deleted the json file, and tried to start the GeoAnalyticsTools in Server Manager. The tool started successfully, and a new lifecycleinfos.json file was created. Then I moved to Portal trying to enable the tool there, still the same error returned. In addition, I was thinking of recreating the site, so I tried to a backup the site first, and unfortunately, a similar error: "Export operation failed. A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at character 1 of" returned. 

Regards,

Chen

0 Kudos
NoahSlocum
Esri Contributor

Hi Chen,

Thanks for taking those steps, it sounds like this issue may require more intensive troubleshooting than can be done via GeoNet. If you contact technical support and explain what you've tried so far, they should be able to help you investigate what's going wrong. 

Best Regards,
Noah Slocum
GeoAnalytics Product Engineer

0 Kudos