I upgraded an existing ArcGIS 10.1 test server to 10.3.1. The installation
(upgrade) went through without any issues. I can login the local server
manager. But all services (including the system and utility services) appeared
to be “stopping …”. I could stop a service (e.g., system or utility
services), but was unable to start it. It gave this error: "Failed to start the server machine 'xxxx'. Could not start application server within stipulated time". I had rebooted my machine, checked the file/folder permissions and found no issues. The server meets the system requirements as described in http://server.arcgis.com/en/server/10.3/install/windows/arcgis-for-server-system-requirements.htm.
I can not publish a new map service as the System/PublishingTools can not be started.
Make sure that you have assigned Modify or Full Control permissions for the arcgis windows account on the "arcgisserver" directory. Then re-start the ArcGIS Server service from the services.msc window (Windows Run > services.msc).
Hope this helps. Thanks,
All permissions look correct. I found the upgrade installed a new C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem. The original one is on a network drive. So I changed the path under "Site" to C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem. deleted the lock files under config-store\locks (on network), run services.msc to restart the ArcGIS server service. Now I got "Server
machine 'xxx' is currently being configured by another administrative operation. Please try again later".
If you say that a new C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem folder got created during the upgrade, then I guess something went wrong during the upgrade.
If you are willing, you can try the following workflow, since you are working on a test/staging server:
1. Run services.msc and STOP the ArcGIS server service
2. Rename the arcgisserver folder on ur C:\ and network drive to arcgisserver_old
3. Go to services.msc and START the ArcGIS server service
4. Try logging into Server Manager and try to create a new site
5. Since you want your arcgisserver folder on ur network drive, assign all the paths accordingly.
6. Once it is done, check if the new site is working as expected with running default services.
7. Then publish a sample service as well just to make sure.
8. If everything is fine till now, then move ur config-store\services from old arcgisserver to the newly created one.
9. Do the same for directories\arcgiscache and config-store\security if you want the respective content
This is a long shot and works most of the time.
Hope this helps. Thanks,
Thanks for the reply. But I can't start the server manager at step 4. It is strange when I start the service at step3 it creates two arcgiserver folder, one on C, and the other on the internal E disk. If I uninstall/reinstall ArcGIS server 10.3.1, create a new site, and copy the original arcgiscache, arcgisjobs, and arcgisoutput to the new site, will this work?
Yes, it is possible to see two arcgiserver folder, one on C, and the other on the internal E disk because the "log" folder is always created in the local drive. And technically you can create a new site, and copy the original arcgiscache, arcgisjobs, and arcgisoutput to the new site and config-store\services to restore your old services. As I said, it works most of the time, so dont delete the old arcgisserver folder unless and until you are sure that everything is migrated.
I reinstalled ArcGIS 10.3, and followed those steps below, and was able to start all the services. Thanks a lot for your help.
1. reinstall ArcGIS 10.3, create a new site under E:\arcgisserver, stop AGS server service
2. Copy J:\IT\SystemFiles\ArcGIS\AGSS_SITES\101_QA\directories\arcgiscache (exclude .site) to E:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgiscache
3. COPY our own service folders from J:\IT\SystemFiles\ArcGIS\AGSS_SITES\101_QA\config-store\services to E:\arcgisserver\config-store\services
4. COPY our own service folders from J:\IT\SystemFiles\ArcGIS\AGSS_SITES\101_QA\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput
5. COPY our own service folders from
J:\IT\SystemFiles\ArcGIS\AGSS_SITES\101_QA\directories\arcgisoutput to E:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgisoutput
start AGS server service, and register the SDE data store with the same name as before.
6. start all map services and test