Unable to publish a Referenced Mosaic Dataset to ArcGIS Server 10.2.1

12-03-2014 06:04 AM
DanielHall_Ballester
New Contributor III

I have a number of Raster Catalogs I want to publish. It is my understanding that in order for them to be published to ArcGIS Server I need to create Referenced Mosaic Datasets for them.

I have done this.

I have also successfully registered the data folders with ArcGIS Server and enabled the Image extension (this is needed to publish mosaics).

When I come to publish the referenced mosaic dataset, in the Service Editor I select to only use the “Image” capability and for it to only allow the “image” operation, as I only want the user to be able to view the data. I am not caching the service.

When I analyse the service, I only get one Medium error. This is just warning me that no statistics have been calculated for the Mosaic dataset. As this service is a “view-only” service, I do not need statistics.

When I click on “Publish”, it runs through the whole publishing service and then I get an error

Failed to Publish Service.

If I look at the server log, I see the following error:

Error executing tool.: ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service. Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition)

This seems to be a generic error.

Digging a bit more into the server log I can see that there is an error about an invalid path:

Invalid input data source path: \\servername\data\Production\Backdrop_Mapping\Mosaics\Data_50K\Data_50K.gdb\Data_50K

This is referring to the Mosaic dataset which I am trying to publish.

This folder is successfully registered as a data store on the server:

\\servername\data\Production\Backdrop_Mapping

As I understand it, this should include all subfolders.

In order to test this, I have created a simple mxd with 1 vector dataset and published it from the same source folder without any problems. The vector dataset was in the same fgdb as the mosaic dataset. So I know the server is able to connect to and read from this location.

Any suggestions of what I could try next would be great.

Many thanks.

Tech spec: ArcGIS Sever 10.2.1, Standard Licence, Image extension.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Daniel,

I would recommend recreating the raster catalogs as mosaic datasets and then publishing the mosaic dataset to ArcGIS Server.  The mosaic dataset will perform much faster than the referenced mosaic dataset of a raster catalog, or the raster catalog itself.

0 Kudos
DanielHall_Ballester
New Contributor III

Hi Jake,

Many thanks for the tip.  This has worked, however, it still doesn't answer why my Referenced Mosaic Datasets aren't publishing.  I have now been able to publish a raster image, a mosaic dataset and a vector dataset from the same fgdb.  Just not a referenced mosaic dataset.

Am I right in assuming that it is a good idea to build pyramids on creation of the mosaic dataset?

Many thanks once again.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Here is a helpful link on when to build pyramids or overviews:

Should I build pyramids or overviews? | ArcGIS Blog

0 Kudos
Blevins_Mark
Occasional Contributor

@JakeW how do I enable the update operation when i publish a mosaic dataset as an imagery service? i don't see that operation not sure what i'm doing wrong. thanks.1.JPG

0 Kudos