Unable to publish a geocode service from ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 to ArcServer 3.1, are there any conflicts?

03-08-2017 07:29 AM
CarlosFlores6
New Contributor II

We have an enterprise GIS system installed in the office, I am trying to publish a composite locator with suggestions that I created in ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1.  In order to create this geocode locator I upgraded to 10.3.1 from 10.3 but only my computer was upgraded ArcGIS Server and the whole enterprise remain on 10.3. I also installed a patch for 10.3.1 so it will work on building this locator. Now When I am trying to publish the locator as a service It does not get published, I only get a pop up window with the message  " Failed to publish service".

Are there any conflicts between this two versions? (10.3 - 10.3.1) How do I solve this problem.

I will appreciate any help with this problem. Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I would say there certainly can be problems publishing services from ArcMap at one version to Server on another.  The documentation states that "generally" you can publish between versions.  This may be an instance that falls outside of "generally".  The easiest way to determine this is to just match the versions and see if the problem persists.

0 Kudos
ShannonPugh
Occasional Contributor

Hey Carlos, I am having this exact issue. Did you ever resolve? Was it the mismatch between versions?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you allow the composite locator to be copied to the ArcGIS Server server?  All other types of service do not need the data to be copied to the server, but a composite geocode service has this requirement.

0 Kudos
ShannonPugh
Occasional Contributor

The fact that my locator has "suggestions enabled" is requiring it to be in a folder instead of geodatabase. Then I am allowing the locator to be copied to the ArcGIS Server. I have tried publishing by copying to the Server locators that did not have "suggestions enabled" and they worked just fine.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I believe you needed to apply a patch for suggestions on your desktop to create the locator.  That same patch was also made for the AGS environment so it looks like you need to upgrade your server(s) to 10.3.1 and then apply the patch after that upgrade.  ESRI no longer allows locators in geodatabases at 10.4.x and beyond, so it is best practice not to place locators in geodatabases anymore.

0 Kudos