Unable to apply Portal for ArcGIS 10.6.1 patches

01-03-2020 06:05 AM
JohnBrushett
New Contributor III

Hello, 

I am trying to apply the latest Portal, Data Store and Server patches to my Enterprise deployment. I should point out that it is on a standalone, disconnected system as it is for test purposes.

I only have 2 GIS servers and Portal. Both servers are federated with Portal.  

I managed to install the Server patches by double clicking the MSP files, however when I came to the Portal and Data Store patches they threw an error, the same as attached in this thread:

https://community.esri.com/thread/226354-unable-to-install-portal-for-arcgis-privilege-escalation-se...

Is there a specific order that the patches need to be installed? I am trying to uninstall the Server patches now and will try to install the Portal patches then. 

Someone please help as my onsite consultants don't know what the issue is. 

Kind regards,

John 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JohnBrockwell
Occasional Contributor III

Check your anti-virus event logs. McAfee is a killer for me. It always catches install packages for no reason (false positives).

0 Kudos
JohnBrushett
New Contributor III

I did think it would be that but the Server patches installed with no problems at all, it's only the Data Store and Portal ones. It's not even getting to the point where I need to authorise UAC like I do on Server patches. That's why I thought it might be that I need to do Portal or Data Store BEFORE the Server patches. 

I'm also unable to deactivate McAfee and obviously can't uninstall completely as my contractor team who manage the system I get Antivirus updates from will throw a hissy fit. 

Kind regards,

John

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

Hmmn, try running from another drive. Can you provide a screenshot?

0 Kudos
JohnBrushett
New Contributor III

The error I get is the exact same one as in the linked post.

I have tried installing from Disc on my desktop to the remote server, from a local drive and from a remote admin access only drive. 

This is why it's weird. 

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

Are you sure you are installing the correct patch version? I find the ESRI Patch and download page very confusing with all the pulldown menus. it is pretty east to download the incorrect patch version.

https://support.esri.com/en/Products/Enterprise/arcgis-server/ArcGIS-Server/10-6-1#downloads

0 Kudos
JohnBrushett
New Contributor III

Hi John, 

Yes I have the correct version. I checked it twice on the 2 times I have downloaded it now. 

I don't know whether to try a different version just to see what happens. :S 

I am going to continue uninstalling the Server patches to see what happens when I do the Data Store and Portal patches then. 

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

Can you install using the Administrator account? Installing as the Administrator always makes the installation of software less complicated. IMHO.

0 Kudos
JohnBrushett
New Contributor III

As it is a virtual server controlled by vsphere from another domain, I can't seem to log in as a local admin. 

I have tried running the command line install as the local admin but that hits the same error. 

It's just weird that the Server patches seem to work fine but the PFA and Datastore don't. 

I noticed on other patches, like license manager, that you need to stop the service to patch it, but I didn't do that with Server as it does it itself. 

Throughly confused here. 

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

I've run those patches myself. I know they can be run while the services are still up. I can't stand stuff like this. The only other thing I can think of is that the PortalAdmin Account doesn't have permissions from the folder location the patch is saved to or running from.

0 Kudos