Trying to upgrade Enterprise to 10.7.1 - Username Error

Jump to solution
07-18-2019 07:23 AM
RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor

I'm trying to upgrade my ArcGIS Enterprise from 10.7 to 10.7.1, which I thought would be simple since my install was through Enterprise Builder. I opened the builder, it finds the correct install directory then it asks for my password for the ArcGIS Enterprise Account using my windows login...username@myorganization.domain.com the problem is this is well over 20 characters which is apparently the limit the builder will accept, is there any way around this? It will not let me change the username and I have tried shift + run as. I do have my portal setup through active directory identity store, but I thought ESRI would take that possibility into account

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor

I found a workaround, in Services, open the Portal for ArcGIS service's properties and rewrite the user name as domain\username and retype the password, then repeat this for the server and datastore services and restart them all. Builder will now use that as your username instead, hopefully its less than 20 characters as it was for me!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor

Apparently this also happens if I try to update a server program individually. Seems wild that I can't find anyone else who has run into this

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

What username did you use when you first ran the Enterprise Builder? Did you change the username after installation?

0 Kudos
RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor

The original username is still the same and exists but I set portal's identity store to use only active directory for logins so to my knowledge without breaking this there's no way to log in as that original account I created during installation

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Glad it's sorted out, but it's strange that you can run the installer at one version and it doesn't complain, but upgrading to a new version, (the installer would then just uninstall then reinstall, but should be the same logic for usernames), would complain. I suggest following up with Support about this.

0 Kudos
RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor

Support says there's a bug, "BUG-000102658 - During the installation of Portal for ArcGIS, when specifying the Portal for ArcGIS service account, the following error message displays: "Username is longer than 20 characters" if the combined length of the username and the domain name is longer than 20 characters" but I can't see this on the bugs page.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Ah so it's closed as Known Limit, and a bit of Googling suggests it's a limit based on the format of the username and what property it's pulled from within AD?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/63d2795c-8c28-4a22-9820-18190bfcdcf9/not-able-t...

Anyway, not sure why the bug isn't searchable, but the workaround may take advantage of the userPrincipleName attribute which can be 64 characters. The sAMAccountName attribute can only be 20 characters. Not an AD expert by any means, so my explanation may be incorrect.

0 Kudos
RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor

I found a workaround, in Services, open the Portal for ArcGIS service's properties and rewrite the user name as domain\username and retype the password, then repeat this for the server and datastore services and restart them all. Builder will now use that as your username instead, hopefully its less than 20 characters as it was for me!