The specified coordinate exceeds the valid coordinate range

02-15-2018 12:59 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

In one of our enterprise geodatabases, a single feature class within a feature dataset fails to draw and tosses the above mentioned error.  (10.3.1)  There are a few older Geonet postings and even a Tech Support article that indicate the problem is between the features of the feature class exceeding some boundary set by the feature dataset.

I exported the problem child feature class from the e-gdb to a local file geodatabase (10.5.1).  Draws just fine.  Then I created a feature dataset with the same spatial coordinate system as the the original enterprise feature dataset; If I try to copy and past the exported feature class into my new feature dataset, it fails with the famous "Spatial references do not match" error.  Never have understood that one, but whatever.  Of course, I can import the local feature class into the local feature dataset, and everything is happy.

Just for fun, I copied the enterprise geodatabase feature dataset and pasted it into my local fgdb.  The former problem child is happy as a clam; draws all day long.  All the feature classes within that feature dataset are happy.

So what's going on here?  How does one feature class in a feature dataset all of the sudden decide it has a conflict with it's feature data set?  I think we can delete and then import a new copy of the problem child feature class, but that's no fun; we still don't know what happened.....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

When the original Enterprise db was created did the creator us a predefined projection or did they customize the projection?  Not 100% on this but I think if they specified the extents manually it may not accept anything that  is out of bounds.  I added a bunch of data to a State Plane projection that was Lambert Conformal Conic and from an adjoining state. It opened without error.  Granted the data was skewed the further away we got from our area but it worked.

Open the offending feature in a blank MXD and see if there is a feature in it that is way out of bounds.

Also open the attribute table and sort by feature length or area.  Are there any features with a length or area of ZERO

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

You may have already seen this support article. If not, there is a workaround in it that may work:

Error: SDE Error(-139) The specified coordinate exceeds the valid coordinate range 

Also, Vince Angelo offers some advice in this post from a few years back that may apply:

https://community.esri.com/thread/43845 

Chris Donohue, GISP

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

rborchert‌ :  straight up  Utah Central State Plane; nothing fancy, just meat and potatos.  I tried to see if any of the lines were out in lala land, but it won't draw at all:  no zero length feautures.

cdspatial‌:  thanks- I read those two articles in my search.

This feature class is in our 'public' enterprise geo db; we use a delete features / append routine weekly to keep it updated from the source datadbase.  We just ran that manually and voila.  Happy happy.  Still weird though....

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Curious.  Do you also compress your system regularly?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yes- stats, analyze, compress on a regular basis- I think at least weekly, maybe a couple times a week.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a bad shape? I don't suppose that a select by spatial location, completely within, .. selects all but one feature?

That would be too easy, but bad shapes or null shapes will have a (0, 0) in their construct.  Redoing the spatial index sometimes work, but I have only done these sorts of checks on shp and file gdb data

0 Kudos
ArjunDongre
Occasional Contributor

Did you ever figure this problem out? I am running into the same issue. The dataset has been created through a script for years without a problem. Recently this started happening. I did find geometry errors in one of the datasets I am appending, but I fixed those. When I export the feature class out it renders without any problems.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sorry-  to tell you the truth I can't remember....

0 Kudos
ArjunDongre
Occasional Contributor

Ours still fails randomly. I found that the spatial index doesn't get built. I have to go in and  hit "Create" and then it's fine.

0 Kudos