Sync fails at 10.5.1 with 500 error

Jump to solution
09-03-2017 08:05 PM
FraserHand1
New Contributor III

Hi,

We have just upgraded a customer today to 10.5.1 from 10.4.1 and we have found that syncing with Collector now fails. The edits get pushed up to the enterprise geodatabase but do not come down from ArcGIS Server from the enterprise geodatabase.

After investigating it appears that during the sync process the GP tool is looking for the wrong schema in SQL Server for some of the temporary tables that get created.

• We have SDE schema with geodatabase repository
  • We have GISADMIN schema with feature classes
  • ArcGIS Server runs as Domain\server_ArcGIS (OSA authentication)
  • Feature classes have archiving enabled

If we go offline with Collector the replica creation works fine, and if we sync, the edits get pushed up from Collector but it does not refresh the data from the enterprise geodatabase to the mobile device – we get a 500 sync failed error.

NOTE: The feature class is GIS.GISADMIN.SomePoints – syncing fails – ArcGIS Server has correct editing permissions assigned

If we give the ArcGIS Server creation rights on the enterprise geodatabase and create the feature class to be GIS.” Domain\server_ArcGIS”.SomePoints then all works as expected. If we set ArcGIS Server to connect to the enterprise geodatabase as the data schema owner (as a db connection GISADMIN) all works as expected.

This workflow was fine 10.1 through 10.4.1 – this customer has been using it.

Please note that versioned feature classes work as expected. It is just an issue with archiving.

Also be aware we have applied the recent SQL Server Permissions patch (10.5.1)

Has anyone hit this? This seems like a bit of a biggie.

Many thanks,

Fraser

27 Replies
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

OK I thought there was a patch for 10.5.1

Am I correct to say that any version from 10.5.1 forward will still encounter this error.  The only way to fix this at this point in time is to roll back to 10.5.

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello jay kapalczynski,

The issue outlined in the original post was the bug I linked in my previous comment. The patch is for 10.5 specifically, while the fix was rolled into 10.5.1. If you are seeing this specific issue, where you've published your feature service as a user that is not the data owner, and you get a 500 error, there may be something else going on.

A 500 error is pretty generic, but essentially means the failure occurred on the server side. If you are encountering a 500 error with sync, and you do not have the same data owner/publisher mismatch as stated elsewhere in the comments, then there is likely something else going on. Have you been able to contact Esri Support about the issue? Could you provide a bit more information here about your data model, your workflows, and the situation leading up to any 500 errors you see?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

It has been a while since I have looked into this.  We actually changed to a versioned workflow using a non-federated ArcGIS Server (this allows reducing the version count to one - if you set to version per user).  I don't really consider this the optimal solution because we lose security but it is an acceptable trade off because it works, and we get to keep versioning for the desktop editors.

There is an additional oddity that esri uses a relatively short name for the version name of the created version (I think it is 24 characters but would have to confirm that) , so you can even get multiple services to sync to the same version if you put the services in a folder.  The version name for a version associated to a replica generated from a non-federated AGS will be 'esri_anonymous\folder\servicename' but cut off at the 24(?) characters.

It would not surprise me if esri never addressed the original issue described in the post.

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
GregHeintz
New Contributor II

Has the syncing error issue in Collector been resolved in ArcGIS Server 10.6.1? 

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

Sadly I don think so....Still so puzzled a version was released with no one QA/QC this stuff...seems like a pretty blatant mistake....

0 Kudos
GregHeintz
New Contributor II

We will be upgrading our ArcGIS Server, SDE DB, and ArcMap Desktop to 10.6.1 so that they are all in sync with the same version.  I sure hope this resolves the Collector sync issue, but reading your post it appears that it may not work.  It is frustrating because our Public Works - Roads department exclusively uses offline maps and they had to abandon this process and go back to online web maps in Collector (this is not a preferred process since there are areas of spotty or no cellular coverage in the rural areas).  ESRI needs to fix this issue immediately.

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

Greg

NOTE:  The SYNC still works...but only one way....it works from the mobile unit to the server.  it does not work from the server to the unit.  SO their data will sync up to the server fine, they will get the error telling them that no data was brought down from the server.  I have crews out currently collecting data live and disconnected....the data is getting here...the only difference is that the data changes on the server from other collections etc. are not being sync'd coming down...

This is a huge annoyance....I ask that my crews remove the project in Collector before starting a new day....this will remove it from the device and allow for a new download from the server...this will bring down all the data currently on the server for a given area.

But it still works....sort of....lol

0 Kudos
GregHeintz
New Contributor II

We recently upgraded to ArcGIS Server 10.6.1, ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1, and are using Collector for ArcGIS version 18.0.2.  The previous error when trying to sync offline maps in Collector has now been resolved.  There is no error when syncing, whether the Collector Synchronization settings are set to "Push Only" or "Push and Pull" when pushing and/or pulling edits from the server.  Thank goodness!!!   

0 Kudos