Select to view content in your preferred language

Switch from CA SSL back to Self-Signed SSL

Jump to solution
08-22-2014 07:23 AM
CarmenDurham
Frequent Contributor

Hello all,

Can anyone guide me to documentation or just tell me how to switch from using a CA SSL back to a self-signed SSL?  I only have dealt with one direction (self-signed to CA SSL) and that was over 3 yrs ago.  Plenty of documentation on web for that, but not going back.

Why?  Have old Win2003/IIS6/ArcgisServer 10 server with a CA SSL about to expire and we are phasing everything off this server.  We have switched the "https" applications to new servers (new domains).  However, I would like the old Https urls to still work so I can redirect them to the new site just for a short while.

Thanks,

Carmen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmenDurham
Frequent Contributor

Daniel,

Thank you for replying, but the server in question is at ArcGIS Server 10.0 - nothing is the same as it is with 10.1 and above.

However, I did find documentation I had used when I initially was working with security on this server when at 9.3.1.

I removed the SSL from a CA by using the "Web Server Certificate Wizard" in IIS 6.0.  This can be found in the properties of the Web Site (Default Web Site in our case) - in the Directory Security Tab  and then click "Server Certificate".  I chose the option to remove the SSL.

Once it was removed, I looked at the Section titled "Using a Self Signed Certificate" in the following documentation:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisserver/9.3.1/dotNet/index.htm#setting_up_ssl.htm

I had long ago already downloaded and installed the IIS 6 Resource toolkit so I could quickly run SelfSSL.

I did this at 4:30 on a Friday and surprisingly it all worked in 20 minutes.  Whew.

Thanks,

Carmen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Carmen,

This tutorial shows you how you can enable SSL for ArcGIS Server using the default self-signed certificate:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

The answer to your question also depends on if you're accessing ArcGIS Server through the web adaptor, the documentation for that workflow is here:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

I hope this helps!

-Daniel

0 Kudos
CarmenDurham
Frequent Contributor

Daniel,

Thank you for replying, but the server in question is at ArcGIS Server 10.0 - nothing is the same as it is with 10.1 and above.

However, I did find documentation I had used when I initially was working with security on this server when at 9.3.1.

I removed the SSL from a CA by using the "Web Server Certificate Wizard" in IIS 6.0.  This can be found in the properties of the Web Site (Default Web Site in our case) - in the Directory Security Tab  and then click "Server Certificate".  I chose the option to remove the SSL.

Once it was removed, I looked at the Section titled "Using a Self Signed Certificate" in the following documentation:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisserver/9.3.1/dotNet/index.htm#setting_up_ssl.htm

I had long ago already downloaded and installed the IIS 6 Resource toolkit so I could quickly run SelfSSL.

I did this at 4:30 on a Friday and surprisingly it all worked in 20 minutes.  Whew.

Thanks,

Carmen

0 Kudos