Should the versions of ArcGIS for Desktop, Server and WebAdaptor be the same?

Jump to solution
06-27-2017 06:16 AM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, we recently upgraded our Desktop users to Desktop 10.5.0.  We also upgraded the License Server Administrator to 10.5.0.  As I am new to a lot of this, I was looking around and noticed our ArcGIS for Server and the WebAdaptor are still at version 10.4.  In the past two weeks or so, we have been experiencing issues using Collector (latest version) on Windows 10 tablets (basemap loads, editable layers do not, and the error cites our webadaptor URL), but we cannot nail down when this may have actually started (as the tablet addition was fairly recent).  However, we do not encounter these errors on iOS tablets using Collector.  With my inexperience, and seeing the webadaptor URL, this has me wondering if we need to upgrade the Server and the WebAdaptor to 10.5.0.  And if we do upgrade, will we have to republish all of our services?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jay,

Web Adaptor and ArcGIS Server will need to be at the same release as each other, but ArcGIS Desktop can be at a different release.  Here is a helpful link that discusses compatibility. 

The upgrade from ArcGIS Server 10.4 to 10.5 is fairly simply.  You just have to run the executable and it will perform the upgrade for you.  You will not have to republish any of your services.  For Web Adaptor, you will have to uninstall the 10.4 version, and install the new version.  This is because it's possible to have more than one version of the web adaptor installed on a server.

Also, 10.5.1 is due to be released this week on the 29th if you want to wait until then and get the latest and greatest.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Jay,

Web Adaptor and ArcGIS Server will need to be at the same release as each other, but ArcGIS Desktop can be at a different release.  Here is a helpful link that discusses compatibility. 

The upgrade from ArcGIS Server 10.4 to 10.5 is fairly simply.  You just have to run the executable and it will perform the upgrade for you.  You will not have to republish any of your services.  For Web Adaptor, you will have to uninstall the 10.4 version, and install the new version.  This is because it's possible to have more than one version of the web adaptor installed on a server.

Also, 10.5.1 is due to be released this week on the 29th if you want to wait until then and get the latest and greatest.

JayHodny

Thank you Jake.  So the Collector issues we are experiencing are likely not correlated with the 10.4 versions of the Server and Webadaptor, and I can upgrade when ready.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I would say that the Collector issues are not related to the version of ArcGIS Server.  Yes, you can upgrade when ready.

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hi Jake, thank you.  I meant to add this screenshot and forgot.  Here is the Collector layer error I see.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

tagging https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/collector-for-arcgis?sr=search&searchId=9e483d...‌     but since your original question has been answered, you may want to mark Jake's first comment as correct, and then start a new discussion in that space after you upgrade to 10.5.x and rule that our as an issue (or do it now with the image above).  As Jake mentioned, with 10.5.1 coming out in a few days, you may just want to wait.

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

I had a quick look at your URL. It looks like it's secured at the web tier. If you haven't already, you'll want to configure trusted servers for your ArcGIS Online organization (http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/configure-security.htm)

Bahram-Jomehzadeh
New Contributor III

Hi everybody! As I know, I've never could Install different versions of ArcGIS for Desktop with ArcGIS for Server in a same time on a same PC!

GIS Consultant
Proficient in best practices and uses of Esri's ArcGIS technologies.
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jay, in case you didn't get notified, 10.5.1 is now available for download.

0 Kudos