Should I store raster in ArcSDE Oracle Geodatabase

Jump to solution
06-23-2020 11:32 PM
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Peoples.

What are the current thoughts around storage of rasters in Oracle ArcSDE Geodatabase?

A few years back - it was the thing to do.  Geodatabase became that central place where you could find all your vector and raster data.  But there were some catches - backup and restore of database, additional load on database, removing the raster if you had been unwise with tablespace placements through key words.  Rasters could increase the DB size very quickly compared to vector data.  Some unhappy DBAs.

With mosaic datasets, ArcGIS Server and Portal, increased ability of File Geodatabases, I suspect the storage of Raster in an Oracle database may not be 'best practice' any longer.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hello Mark,

The current thinking is not to store imagery in the database but rather in a highly available file share.

As you surmised, you can create a mosaic dataset, which can reside in your Enterprise Geodatabase and it will reference the images on the file share. As you also pointed out, this simplifies the storage of imagery, rather than having to import the large files into the database.

Organisations are increasingly putting their imagery in the cloud in S3 buckets as this can be a cheap, scalable option. Note that mosaic datasets cannot reference web based URLs directly, only local ones (shared or local drives). To use mosaic datasets with imagery stored on S3 you would need to use Esri's Optimize Rasters tool. This tool creates raster proxies which can reference small local proxy files, which in turn redirect to the S3 hosted, web optimised files.

GitHub - Esri/OptimizeRasters: OptimizeRasters is a set of tools for converting raster data to optim... 

As an alternative, using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8, it is possible to use Image Layers. Image Layers can be created from registered Cloud Stores. The optimisation of the imagery for serving over the web is done automatically.

Mark

Regards,
Mark

View solution in original post

4 Replies
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hello Mark,

The current thinking is not to store imagery in the database but rather in a highly available file share.

As you surmised, you can create a mosaic dataset, which can reside in your Enterprise Geodatabase and it will reference the images on the file share. As you also pointed out, this simplifies the storage of imagery, rather than having to import the large files into the database.

Organisations are increasingly putting their imagery in the cloud in S3 buckets as this can be a cheap, scalable option. Note that mosaic datasets cannot reference web based URLs directly, only local ones (shared or local drives). To use mosaic datasets with imagery stored on S3 you would need to use Esri's Optimize Rasters tool. This tool creates raster proxies which can reference small local proxy files, which in turn redirect to the S3 hosted, web optimised files.

GitHub - Esri/OptimizeRasters: OptimizeRasters is a set of tools for converting raster data to optim... 

As an alternative, using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8, it is possible to use Image Layers. Image Layers can be created from registered Cloud Stores. The optimisation of the imagery for serving over the web is done automatically.

Mark

Regards,
Mark
MarkChilcott

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the input.  I will delve into the link you sent in more detail.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Mark, I think the other Mark provided a solid answer to your question, and I doubt anyone is going to argue for storing raster data in an EGDB.  Please mark Mark's reply correct to close out the question.

0 Kudos
MarkChilcott

This is also a good reference in relation to this topic:

How raster data is stored and managed

0 Kudos