Shared config store but local File geodatabase in load balanced servers?

10-29-2015 05:09 AM
DarkoRadiceski
New Contributor II

Is it possible to have 2 ArcGIS for server servers have shared config store but localised Geodatabase. I am concerned about locks on the File Geodatabase if i place them on a file share

Id like to load balance then for better performance and availability

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidCrosby
Esri Contributor

Sure.  Don't put your File Geodatabase on a network share though you will want to have an identical copy on each of your GIS Servers.

See here for more information and considerations of using File Geodatabases.

Data storage considerations for an ArcGIS Server site—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for S...

DarkoRadiceski
New Contributor II

awesome

so in a nutshell

1. join servers to a same site

2. configure a share for the config store

3. copy all FGDB data to all the servers at same location and register the folder with the server

on the 10.3.1 i might also need to disable the internal load balancing option as i have an external load balancer.

one last question - do the server need to be in the same site?

0 Kudos
DavidCrosby
Esri Contributor

You won't need to disable the load balancing on the GIS Servers, though you could if you like.  That will reduce the network traffic between the two.

The servers could be the same site or not, up to you.  You could use the load balancer to direct the traffic to two individual sites if you want.  If you do that though you will have the additional overhead of keeping the servers in sync (you will need to publish services on each individual server). 

See here for more detail (especially the Data section):

Multiple-machine deployment with third party load balancer—Installation Guides (10.3 and 10.3.1) | A...

0 Kudos