Setting logging time interval in ArcGIS Enterprise

04-26-2019 01:22 AM
CrossrailGIS
New Contributor III

Is it possible to turn off logging for a period of time in ArcGIS Enterprise (10.5.1, technically still called Server in this version I think)?

The reason I ask is that we have our ArcGIS Server services (4 servers + 1 server config store server, load-balanced) restarted every evening to flush out memory consumption, but the logging seems to persist during this period and records a number of errors as a result in the server logs.  Is there anyway to disable logging whilst this happens so as to reduce the size of the log files?  Can't see anything in the documentation you'd think the logging stops when the ArcGIS Server service is restarted but it appears not to be the case?

TIA

Dan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If the service is stopped, there are no processes running that could be generating logs on the machine. Can you check the Machine column and ensure that the logs are coming from the machine that is stopped?

The log level setting supports "Off", so you can use this to turn off logging for a period of time:

I think it'd be better to identify why the errors are getting logged, and from what machine though. You should be able to turn off a particular machine in a multi-machine site without any issues, (aside from disconnecting a connection or something similar).

CrossrailGIS
New Contributor III

Hi Jonathan

So the errors that are popping up during this time period are as shown below.

WARNING29 Apr 2019 00:02:20The operation timed out (WinINet Error while using HTTPS security, 12002), URL = https://xxxxxx11.onelondon.tfl.local:6443/arcgis/admin/generateTokenElizabethLine/CrossrailLorryRoutes.MapServer
SEVERE29 Apr 2019 00:06:47Failed to construct instance of service 'ElizabethLine/CrossrailEstates.MapServer'. Service startup timeout.ElizabethLine/CrossrailEstates.MapServer

The server in question gets restarted (ArcGIS Server service only, not the server itself) at 23:00, I'm not sure how long the restart takes, particularly as the Windows Application Event log records the following:

The description for Event ID 5 from source ArcGIS Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

ArcGIS Server

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Does that sound like typical behavior for ArcGIS Server?

0 Kudos