Service Publishing Basics 10.2.2

Jump to solution
02-16-2016 03:18 PM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

All,

just a general best practice question for everyone, any and all input is welcome!

If a project has been built on Machine A that is within Environment 1 and published as a service. Can the mxd and associated data just be copied over to Machine A within Environment 2 and be published as a service? or would it be best practice to copy over associated data and rebuild the mxd before publishing?

thank you all for your input on the matter!

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEWright_CA

No, there should not be a issue with that; again the key is making sure you have the paths in a similar structure for the MXD to DATA relationship; and that you have registered the data-sources properly with the server.

I do this between 3 environments and have no issue promoting servers from DEV to TEST to PROD.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DEWright_CA

If your services use the same data-path structure; and you have the data folder/s or database connection/s setup in both environments using the same names; then you should be able to take the service from 1 and publish it to 2.

DaveTenney

is there anything wrong with doing what I outlined with the idea that the data would be copied over and local incase Machine A in Environment 1 happens to implode we still have the data locally on Machine 1 in Environment B?

thanks David for the response

Dave

0 Kudos
DEWright_CA

No, there should not be a issue with that; again the key is making sure you have the paths in a similar structure for the MXD to DATA relationship; and that you have registered the data-sources properly with the server.

I do this between 3 environments and have no issue promoting servers from DEV to TEST to PROD.