Server side network requests on behalf of Living Atlas layers in ArcGIS Enterprise

Jump to solution
11-02-2020 04:30 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

Does anyone know if it's possible for the ArcGIS Enterprise Portal application to make server side network requests to data sources of Living Atlas layers (when Portal is configured with Living Atlas subscriber content)?  I assume that a Living Atlas layer in Enterprise, which have internal URLs (i.e. https://portal.domain.com/arcgis/sharing/servers/bd0375ee649b4a06804bd21ccf6c280f/rest/services/Live... ), will only make client side requests once a user adds the layer to a map, but am curious if there are intermediary requests that Portal might make as well.  For instance,

1. client requests Living Atlas layer from portal. 

2. Portal gets layer information like renderer and other basic information from the source

3. Portal returns layer information to the client.

4. Client makes request directly to source for features. 

Or something like that.  

The reason I'm asking is that there seem to be some network requests from the server hosting Portal to some external resources, and I'm trying to rule out Portal making them.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

Hello @Jay_Gregory,

I believe that Portal will proxy the requests for Living Atlas content when it is of the Subscriber or Premium classifications, since the configured credentials will need to be attached to the request. In this way, and for other requests that are bounced off of the Sharing/Proxy endpoint, there can certainly be outbound requests issued from Portal for ArcGIS to ArcGIS Online endpoints.

These requests should only occur when the item is requested within the Portal, but that can be at any time when a client requests that proxied endpoint.

Hope that helps,

Chris

-- Chris Pawlyszyn

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

Hello @Jay_Gregory,

I believe that Portal will proxy the requests for Living Atlas content when it is of the Subscriber or Premium classifications, since the configured credentials will need to be attached to the request. In this way, and for other requests that are bounced off of the Sharing/Proxy endpoint, there can certainly be outbound requests issued from Portal for ArcGIS to ArcGIS Online endpoints.

These requests should only occur when the item is requested within the Portal, but that can be at any time when a client requests that proxied endpoint.

Hope that helps,

Chris

-- Chris Pawlyszyn
0 Kudos