Security of using SDE connection File for connecting to enterprise geodatabase

10-28-2019 10:55 PM
RedaAli
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to secure the SDE connection file.so that unauthorized Employees cannot share or copy the SDE connection file "connection.sde"  between each other as there are a level of privilleges for editing and viewing important data.

So if an employee share the connection file with other they will view restricted data.

Please advice.

Regards,

Reda

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

If the user did not save the UN/PW in the connection file, that is one way to help with the security of the connection file. If you are using OS authentication, that could be used to limit permissions if a connection file is copied/shared.

Geodatabase

--- George T.
RedaAli
New Contributor III

Hi George, 

Thanks for reply.

In my organization environment we already use both of (Database/OS authentication).

but when it comes to applications we are using Database authentication. 

So,the connection file is used to migrate data to one warehouse, this user of warehouse shall be the owner to update data in warehouse.

therefore, there is an opportunity to share the connection file among application servers accessed.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I am not sure there is much more that you can "secure" in the connection file outside of location permissions on the file server or  not storing the UN/PW for the connection to the Geodatabase in use.

--- George T.