Republishing a service from the Server Toolbox

Jump to solution
04-28-2014 10:26 AM
AngelynSnyder
New Contributor III
I have an existing service and service definition file that I need to update based on changes to resources that our field crews input daily, but I cannot figure out a way to automate this process using the Server tools toolbox.

I am trying to use the Upload SD tool.  Under service definition, I navigated to the SD file I created, pointed it to the correct server, and under Override Service Properties (I am assuming this is where you can override an existing service), I entered the service name to override, set the folder type to existing, etc.

When I run the tool, however, I get an error message saying that the service already exists.

Has anyone used successfully used overwritten an existing service with this tool?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor
Hi Angelyn - yes I have successfully overwritten existing services using the Server Toolbox.  You must create an updated SDDraft using the arcpy.mapping function CreateMapSDDraft (I use this method to update my geocode service weekly with arcpy.CreateGeocodeSDDraft) to create draft service definition, then run the Stage Service tool to first stage the MapSDDraft, then run the Update Service Definintion tool to overwrite your service to see your changes reflected. 

Thanks,
David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AngelynSnyder
New Contributor III
Giving my thread a bump here. Anyone out there successfully overwrite an existing service using the Server Toolbox?
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor
Hi Angelyn - yes I have successfully overwritten existing services using the Server Toolbox.  You must create an updated SDDraft using the arcpy.mapping function CreateMapSDDraft (I use this method to update my geocode service weekly with arcpy.CreateGeocodeSDDraft) to create draft service definition, then run the Stage Service tool to first stage the MapSDDraft, then run the Update Service Definintion tool to overwrite your service to see your changes reflected. 

Thanks,
David
0 Kudos
AngelynSnyder
New Contributor III
Thanks David!

I'll be playing around with this information this week. I appreciate the answer!
0 Kudos