renamed geodatabase server breaking legacy .mxd's

Jump to solution
10-08-2015 11:45 AM
UrsulaGlick
New Contributor

The problem is that I have old legacy mxd's that, when opened, are looking for enterprise geodatabase data on a server that is turned off.  Because the server is turned off, it takes 2 hours or more for those mxd's to even open.

This happened because when we upgraded from windows server 2003 to server 2008, I had to change to a new server name.  So the server hosting our SQL enterprise geodatabase got a new name.  Fixing broken layer links isn't a problem, but waiting 2-4 hours for an mxd to open has been a big problem.
If I leave the 2003 server turned on, with the SDE service off, then the old mxd's will open with broken links, but at least it only takes a few minutes for them to open.  Soon, however, I will have to shut down that 2003 server for good. 

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and has any suggestions. I suspect this might be more of a network engineer type question but if anyone has any previous experience or advice, at least I'll have something to suggest to our network person.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

My suggestion is to create a script (python) perhaps to get this operation done automatically in a short time frame.  Otherwise, you will always be stuck with that 2 hour delay.

Does it also take 2 hours to use the Set Data Sources tool in ArcCatalog that can be used to update data sources?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

My suggestion is to create a script (python) perhaps to get this operation done automatically in a short time frame.  Otherwise, you will always be stuck with that 2 hour delay.

Does it also take 2 hours to use the Set Data Sources tool in ArcCatalog that can be used to update data sources?

0 Kudos
UrsulaGlick
New Contributor

Thanks Michael.  I hadn't known about the Set Data Sources tool so I just tried it and I think it will work.  It takes maybe 10 minutes for the dialog to open from ArcCatalog but that's not too bad.  I really prefer your python suggestion though which led me to this post: Changing Data Source for numerous .MXD's

I think that will be the best solution overall.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Let me know if you need any help with the scripting, although I know other users have supplied their entire simple script to achieve your objective (Just do some keyword searching through geonet).

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Another option is to change your DNS entry for that server to the loopback IP 127.0.0.1 which will force any user's mxd files to fail immediately - no waiting

0 Kudos