Removing Labels from Basemap

Jump to solution
01-05-2021 08:31 AM
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all! My question seems like something that could be resolved pretty easily, but I cannot figure it out. I have a Web Map with the World Dark Gray Base Basemap, and I added the Human Geography Dark Label as the Reference Layer as part of the Basemap because I really like the font. I didn't realize that the World Dark Gray Base Basemap already had labels until I zoomed in, which clash with the labels of the Reference Layer. I don't want the labels from the Basemap, is there anyway to remove them so I just have the Reference Layer's labels? 🤔

The Red circled labels are the ones I want - the Blue circled labels are the ones I'm trying to get rid of

Red are the labels that I wantRed are the labels that I want

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kamille,

The World Dark Gray Base layer is a 'rasterized tile' and the labels are 'burned in' so to speak.  When you zoom in you will see that they grow in size and appear fuzzy.  I would replace it and use Dark Gray Canvas, which is a vector tile service. https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5e9b3685f4c24d8781073dd928ebda50    Also, when using vector tile services you can modify styling using the Vector Tile Style Editor.  ArcGIS Vector Tile Style Editor

mark

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kamille,

The World Dark Gray Base layer is a 'rasterized tile' and the labels are 'burned in' so to speak.  When you zoom in you will see that they grow in size and appear fuzzy.  I would replace it and use Dark Gray Canvas, which is a vector tile service. https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5e9b3685f4c24d8781073dd928ebda50    Also, when using vector tile services you can modify styling using the Vector Tile Style Editor.  ArcGIS Vector Tile Style Editor

mark

KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you so much Mark! I tried to look for a similar basemap, but did not see the Dark Gray Canvas originally. This helps. I also did not know about the Vector Tile Style Editor, this is great!

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

After you have created your own custom styles for the default ESRI vector tile services, how do you actually use these modified vector tile services in your web apps?  Is there a way to make your custom style the default style for all new web apps that you create?

0 Kudos