Relationship between Published Map Service and Local .MXD

07-06-2016 08:37 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 & Desktop ArcGIS 10.3.1

I'm confused as to how ArcGIS Server and the local data and/or .mxd interact after publishing.

I publish a map service where the local .mxd points towards feature classes within a local file geodatabase.  I can edit one of the feature classes and republish the .mxd using the overwrite option.  However, in order to edit the .mxd itself, (add or delete layers, or tables) I must first shut the published service down, before I can save the .mxd.

Is this expected behavior? I was under the impression that once published with data copied to ArcGIS server the 'chord is cut'.  I guess I'm under the wrong impression?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

When you publish a service, the MXD is copied over to the server to a path similar to this one:

\\YourServer\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\ForlderName\ServiceName.MapServer\extracted\v101\MXD_Name.mxd

There should be no relationship between the service and MXD you have on your local system. The service may create a lock to the data published to the server, but this can be changed in the advanced configuration and does not influence what you are experiencing. Strange...

MicahBabinski
Occasional Contributor III

Yeah that's the opposite of my understanding of the relationship between service, data, and MXD.

In the past I've been able to update published data in a file geodatabase on the ArcGIS server box without interrupting the service as long as it is just insert/update/delete, not schema changes which require the exclusive schema lock. The only need to republish should be for schema changes or changes to the structure of the MXD, layer properties, etc.

What behavior are you seeing when you try to save your local MXD? Is there an error message or is the save button just grayed out?

Good luck,

Micah

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

If the service is running and I make a change to the local .mxd and try to save it, an error box to the effect of " Unable to save .mxd" is returned.

0 Kudos
MicahBabinski
Occasional Contributor III

Hmmm. Here's a couple things to check on:

1. Is it possible that another user has the MXD open? (This seems unlikely since you said "local" but worth checking)

2. Is there an image in the map layout? If the path to the image has changed you may need to remove the image prior to saving.

3. Did you add a layer file or data source to the map from a different version of the software? Like a 10.4 layer file or feature class? This might cause a problem when saving a 10.3 map document.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

1. Nope.  I'm a one man show

2. No imagery

3. Only have version 10.3.1

Beats me....

[edited shortly after posting....]  As I said, Beats me; I just added a feature class to an existing local .mxd and saved it without stopping the map service.  This has been the story of 10.3.1 for me; since the install I've had the weirdest things happen with no consistency at all.....

0 Kudos