Real world performance comparison for ArcGIS Server published services with WMS, WCS and WFS capabilities enabled.

01-30-2019 08:43 AM
MohammadIshfaq1
New Contributor II

Greetings,

Can you please share your experience regarding how much added resources are needed in enabling wms, wcs, wfs capabilities on a single or set of published map service(s) if we compare them without these capabilities enabled?

I know performance is a complicated subject and can vary with a lot of other factors however, keeping the size of the http(s) traffic, concurrent sessions and size of the back-end data the same, please share your real experience about it. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

2 Replies
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Good question.  I am have the very same questions.  I have also sent this question to Esri support.  I'll share any responses I get here.

Bernie.

0 Kudos
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Here is the question that I sent to Esri support:

Hello,

A quick question - If I enable WMS support (or other OGC services) when I am publishing a map service will the service consume more server resources?  Assuming:

• the map service receives 10,000 requests a day before WMS is enabled
  • and after WMS is enabled the requests are split 5,000 ArcGIS REST API and 5,000 WMS
    • i.e. not an increase in traffic but just a redistribution of requests between the two standards.

Does enabling WMS trigger an additional ArcSOC to spin up?

Or are both OGC and REST requests handled by the same ArcSOC? 

If it is the same ArcSOC will it have a larger memory footprint? 

Will a WMS request require additional CPU cycles when compared to the same request to the REST endpoint?

Thanks,

Bernie.

0 Kudos