"Wal files size exceeded the max size."

Jump to solution
04-12-2018 08:22 AM
MichaelSchoelen
Occasional Contributor III

Every 60 seconds, our portal is delivering a warning that:

"Wal files size exceeded the maximux size." (not "Maximum"). Code: 218018Process: 5676

From our initial search, "Wal" might mean "Write Ahead Logging", which indicates that this could be a mis-configuration with the datastore? But we didn't find any unusually large files there.

We took a look at our hosting server, and it is delivering an error:

Error deleting WAL backup. Write to configuration store failed.. Extended error message: An I/O error occurred while sending to the backend.

We are running ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 on Windows 2008 R2.

Ideas on what to look for? 

18 Replies
MichaelSchoelen

My understanding is that manually removing the WAL files is a temporary workaround. Ideally, you should schedule the webgisdr utility for full backups, sent somewhere with decent storage space. That resolved the issue over here.

Once the webgisdr utility is run once, this becomes a necessary step. A good question is: "is there a way to undo whatever parameter is set by running the webgisdr utility the first time?"

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Michael is right, deleting the transaction logs will only solve the problem until they fill up the hard drive again. Ideally, as Michael correctly said again, you should be scheduling full backups with the DR tool to not only minimize data loss but also avoid this issue altogether.

0 Kudos
RamakrishnaBillakanti
Occasional Contributor

Interestingly I may not able to run the WebGISDR utility until the bug is fixed with IWA Authentication. Any alternatives for me by any chance

0 Kudos
MichaelSchoelen

Alternative is to schedule a task that deletes that folder's contents on a regular basis. I'm not a linux guy, but a Chron job might do the trick.

0 Kudos
RamakrishnaBillakanti
Occasional Contributor

Guess, This might be an ideal job for me now. I guess.

Jonathan Quinn : Do you think of any issues to the portal while deleting the files using a task schduler job ?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Probably a Windows environment, considering the IWA issue.

Do you see the same failure if you use https://portal.domain.com:7443/arcgis as the PORTAL_ADMIN_URL? Does the federated Server's WA have IWA enabled?

0 Kudos
RamakrishnaBillakanti
Occasional Contributor

Yes. Portal has IWA Authentication.

0 Kudos
Than_HtetAung
New Contributor III

Hi Jonathan,

We encountered similar issue and cannot perform webgisDR full backups as it try to create temp files in C:\ drive and not enough space in C: drive.

Is there anyway to solve it out or any manual way of deleting those archive files, and where these are located for version 10.5.1?

Best Regards,

Than Htet Aung

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You can delete them manually. They're under the default content parent directory in a backups folder, (C:\arcgisportal\backup\walarchive for example).

They're only used for incremental backups, but once you have space, define a schedule for automated full backups to prevent data loss and manage walarchive file sizes for now until it can be rectified in the software.

0 Kudos