Publishing referenced data

07-28-2021 07:19 AM
TDegEH
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am new to using Arc Enterprise to publish services.  I inherited a system from the previous owner, and she has the data store set up, and it is federated.  She also has the server and versions where the data is housed validated with arc server manager.  I created a new feature dataset within the validated SDE, but when I push it through be published it says it is being copied, and I don't want that.  I want it to be straight referenced.  The older services are not giving this warning when I publish them, so I am wondering what step I am missing when I created that new feature dataset?  The feature classes are versioned and they have global ids, and they are part of the SDE that is already validated in Server manager.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Todd_Metzler
Occasional Contributor III

Likely cause:  The def (aka .sde) file in your publishing environment is not exactly the same as the one hosted in ArcGIS server.

TIP:  Create the .sde connection file in ArcGIS client, export it and then import to ArcGIS Enterprise server.  Then exactly the same def string.  Further, I post this .sde on a file share and instruct our users to grab a copy instead of creating their own .sde files.  Same source, same def string, less likely to cause problems later on for the next Administrator (aka you?)

Why does this happen:  "cause some publishers in your domain may create a .sde file using mapped drive, UNC or FQDN.  I have def in ArcGIS Enterprise registered with FQDN.

TDegEH
by
New Contributor II

Would it have anything to do with the username and password that was used to establish the original connection to Server manager?  

0 Kudos
Todd_Metzler
Occasional Contributor III

yes.  The def string password is encrypted.  The publisher environment authentication must be exactly the same as the def string in Enterprise.

TIP:  If you've a choice depending on the flavor of EGDB you are using, suggest use database authentication instead of user/domain authentication when defining your .sde def string.

0 Kudos
TDegEH
by
New Contributor II

Great thank you.

0 Kudos