Publishing a Service

07-05-2016 03:21 PM
ChrisMartin9
New Contributor II

Hello, I am trying publish a service and this is my first time so my only choice is to create a new one. I have version 10.4.1. When I get to the wizard to guide me through the publishing process it asks for a server URL and I don't know what to enter here. Any help would be appreciated. It is also asking for authentication. Is this my existing ArcGIS Online username and password?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Chris,  here is a tutorial that will walk you thru the steps.

Tutorial: Publishing a map service—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

typically, I find it better to create a server-connection (administer or publisher) before starting the service publishing. Easier to reuse.

About connecting to ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS for Desktop—Documentation (10.4) | ArcGIS for Server

under same heding

Making an administrative connection to ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS for Desktop—Documentation (10.4) | Ar...

Making a publisher connection to ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS for Desktop—Documentation (10.4) | ArcGIS f...

To answer your question about the URL, try

http://<server name>:6080/arcgis

And the authentication  would be an admin account, or one with publisher privileges.

If you changes you password often (we have to change ours every 90days) I would recommend NOT saving the password, or it could lock you work/network account.  Better to enter it as you publish (exception is if you start looking at automating publishing...then maybe)

ChrisMartin9
New Contributor II

Rebecca,

Concerning the URL, do I just make up a server name? I don’t have a server name and all I have for the authentication is an ArcGIS Online account.

Chris

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Don't just 'make up a name'.  I don't know how you plan to use the map service; internally or externally, but I would suggest:

1.  Talk to your network guys and see if it has a registered name

2. Talk to your network guys and get the internal ip address if it's only going to be used internally.  Typically that will look like : 10.5.1.156;  If they name the internal devices, you can use it instead

3.  Talk to your network guys and get the registered external ip address; it'll look like 67.10.43.156

case #2 would look like this:

http://10.5.1.156:6080/arcgis

case #3 looks similar:

http://67.10.43.156:6080/arcgis

Hope this helps.

That should just about do it....
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It is the machine where you have ArcGIS server installed. If you don't have network people to go to, you can find the name by looking at the properties of the computer.  Depending on the operating system version, this can vary slightly, but right clicking in the "my computer" icon in win7 will get you there.  If on Windows 10 or a server, it could vary slightly.

Are you in testing mode (that is, an EDN or short term test license) or an enterprise installation?

0 Kudos
ChrisMartin9
New Contributor II

Rebecca,

I don’t have any network people. I’m trying to do this on my own. I want to publish my arcmap project so I can use AppStudio to access it on my ipad.

So I bet I have to share the folder where my arcmap projects are stored and incorporate that into the URL. Is that correct?

Chris

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Chris, do you actually have an ArcGIS Server license? From your original post I thought you did, but if this is all new to you, maybe you don't. .??

in that case, I would checke the links Jayanta Poddar​ posted on signing on to an ArcGIS Online account and publish the service there.    If you don't have an Enterprise account for AGOL already, you can sign up for a developer account ArcGIS for Developers  which also has a lot of other resources.

then you will want to look at AppStudio for ArcGIS  and see the workflow for AppStudio.  You can set up the map for the app thru AGOL and you will want to share it with everyone (public) I believe.  You may also need to make sure you can edit the feature class.  I haven't worked with AppStudio lately (and don't have access right now) to give too much more info, but if you look at http://video.esri.com/search/Appstudio   And use the search on the left side (in black banner) to search for AppStudio, there are several videos.

Back to if you do actually have an enterprise arcgis server license, you will want to copy the data to a drive that server has access, otherwise publishing will want to copy all the data to the server/machine with the ArcGIS server installed.

can you verify what software and versions you are working with?

ChrisMartin9
New Contributor II

Rebecca,

I tried to follow Jayanta’s suggestion to publish the service through ArcGIS Online but I don’t have My Hosted Services as an option in the drop-down list of connection types.

I do not have an ArcGIS Server license. I have a home use license only. I do have an ArcGIS Online account.

I definitely don’t want to share my map with the public. What I’m working on is proprietary so if this is the only way to see my map on my ipad then this won’t work. I want to be able to access my map on my ipad in the field.

I have the latest version of ArcGIS for Desktop – 10.4.1.

Chris

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ok, so ignore our comments about the ArcGIS server connections and machine-name/ip and network folks. That is all ArcGIS server.  Just an FYI, if you did want to spend some $ to play with this, an annual Esri Developer Network (EDN) license is about $1500. Pricy, but give you acess to the server software for testing.

since you don't have ArcGIS server, there are a couple of ways to get you data into Arcgis Online (AGOL).  Most likely you will use publishing you zipped shape files or maybe a zipped fgdb  Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS   If you don't have an enterprise AGOL account, you may have some limitations but I haven't located that doc yet.  The free developer account gives you a limit more features that the home use account I believe. I have all three, so the lines between them get a bit fuzzy.

AppStudio for ArcGIS​ is just one option for accessing you map on iPads.nice thing about it is you crate it once, and can deploy in native language to android or iPad, but you may need an Apple developer license for the ipad.  Other options are Collector for ArcGIS​ and Survey123 for ArcGIS​ , if you want an a focused app, or is you can use browser format, look into Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS​ - AGOL templates, or the developers edition with the many custom widgets  Web AppBuilder Custom WidgetsPublish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS     I list most of the info re this on the    Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List

All of these have some tie to AGOL and can be controlled thru your log in to keep private.

That at should give you some info to chew on for a bit. 

ChrisMartin9
New Contributor II

Rebecca,

Thanks for your help. I think this might work for me but, as you said, I need to mull this over for a while.

Chris

0 Kudos