Publishing a composite locator- registering data store

Jump to solution
08-22-2012 01:06 PM
BrianOevermann
Occasional Contributor III
I have a folder on the server containing the individual locators that make up the composite locator, as well as the composite locator itself.  The folder is registered and I have successfully published the individual locators with no issues.

When I attempt to publish the composite locator, the Analyze result informs me that the "Composite locator will be copied to the server" with a Code ID of 30009.

Is there a reason the individual locators can be published without copying but the composite locator cannot?  I must be missing something.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
LeightonWedderburn
New Contributor II
I think I have found a work around for this problem.

After encountering the same problem some of you have come across I did the following.
1. Published all the individual locators using  a windows authenticated database connection(not sure if it matters if all are windows or database authenticated but I made sure they were all  created the same way... more likely a matter of have permissions configure properly but could be an issue with either or both I'm not sure).
2. From a remote connection to the server where the services reside. I then created the composite locator(in the same manner), making sure that the composite locator functioned properly in ArcMap after creation, then I made the needed property changes. Note: When I Created the composite locator I limited the custom field changes only using the default fields when they were brought in to create the composite address locator from the tool in catalog:' singlekey, city, state, and zip'.   
3. I then published a service definition .sd file which copied the locator(s) data/information to a server accessible folder.
4. Opened ArcGIS Server Manager and published form there using the .sd file.
5. Bam!! I had a Composite Geolocator Service that worked.
TomResh
New Contributor

I was not able to publish a composite locator when I was trying to publish it from the ArcGIS server computer but when I published it from my workstation it was successful.  The composite locator is in sde.

0 Kudos
BugPie
by

Has anyone heard from ESRI or know what the best practice is for storing locators? I have read that it is recomended that you store locators in a file folder and not the SDE? Any truth to this?

0 Kudos
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor

When I last spoke with Esri about this (don't recall how long ago), I was told that keeping locators in SDE was not good.  I have since moved my locators to a file GDB, with the location registered in ArcGIS Server as a data store, and all my problems with geocoding were resolved.  I'd prefer if they would do what it takes for locators to work properly when stored in SDE, though.

BugPie
by

Hi Marc, thanks for your response. I'm not sure why locators would be better if you do not use the SDE, seems a little backwards to me. ? In any event, I have mine stored in a standard file folder, registered as a data store and things run well.

Thanks agian for your input. Happy mapping.

0 Kudos