Publish Routing Services Python utility encountering errors

04-24-2018 02:46 AM
RyanMartin2
New Contributor III

So I have built a network dataset based on Ordnance Survey Open roads that I'd like to publish as a routing service on my internal ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 setup, it's fairly vanilla at this stage and was configured using the enterprise builder tool.

While running the Publish Routing Services (publishroutingservices.py) utility I get this error:

ERROR | 2018-04-24 10:23:17 | __main__ | nas | error | 400 | GIS Server cannot access the file geodatabase containing the network dataset at E:\arcgis\NetworkServices\OSOpenRoads/OSOpenRoadsServer.gdb

ERROR | 2018-04-24 10:23:17 | __main__ | nas | exception | 418 | A geoprocessing error occurred. Details have been logged to E:\arcgis\NetworkServices\ServiceDefinition\publishroutingservices.log

DEBUG | 2018-04-24 10:23:17 | __main__ | nas | exception | 422 | Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\PublishRoutingServices\publishroutingservices.py", line 222, in publish_routing_services

prs.execute()

File "E:\arcgis\NetworkServices\ServiceDefinition\prs\ut.py", line 873, in execute

raise arcpy.ExecuteError

ExecuteError

It's clear that the file geodatabase the script is looking for (above) does not match the file geodatabase location I specified for the tool's parameters (below as -n) (explained on the ESRI website here). Though I am not sure if this is the actual problem or a "red herring". But if it is the actual error it suggests the ESRI utility is changing the URL at some point in the script?

Regarding Windows file access and permissions the script is run as an administrator and I have given the folder "E:\arcgis\" and all sub folders read/write access for the ESRI system account I created for ArcGIS enterprise to use.

C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.6\python.exe "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\PublishRoutingServices\publishroutingservices.py" -s https://domain.com:6443/arcgis -P https://domain.com:7443/arcgis -u username -p password -o E:\arcgis\NetworkServices\ServiceDefinition -n E:\arcgis\NetworkServices\OSOpenRoads\Data\OSOpenRoadsServer.gdb\OSOpenRoadsNetwork_ND

EDIT 1  - For anyone who was interested the error occurred because I had missed the "feature dataset" from the -n parameter since it goes File GeoDatabase - Feature Dataset - Network Dataset. However, I'm now encountering another error with my new parameters:

Command Line input

C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.6\python.exe "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\PublishRoutingServices\publishroutingservices.py" -s gisdomain.com -P gisdomain.com -u username -p ***** -o E:\RoutingServices\ServiceDefinitions -n E:\RoutingServicesData\OSOpenRoadsServer.gdb\OSOpenRoadsNetwork\OSOpenRoadsNetwork_ND

Debug Output 

INFO | 2018-04-25 09:08:58 | __main__ | nas | info | 391 | Creating supporting files at E:\RoutingServices\ServiceDefinitions\prs\data

ERROR | 2018-04-25 09:08:58 | __main__ | nas | exception | 418 | Failed to create supporting files in E:\RoutingServices\ServiceDefinitions\prs\data

DEBUG | 2018-04-25 09:08:58 | __main__ | nas | exception | 422 | Traceback (most recent call last):

File "E:\RoutingServices\ServiceDefinitions\prs\ut.py", line 932, in execute

create_supporting_files.execute()

File "E:\RoutingServices\ServiceDefinitions\prs\ut.py", line 265, in execute

parser.set(network, prop, network_props[prop])

File "C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.6\lib\ConfigParser.py", line 743, in set

raise TypeError("option values must be strings")

TypeError: option values must be strings

ERROR | 2018-04-25 09:08:58 | __main__ | nas | exception | 418 | A geoprocessing error occurred. Details have been logged to E:\RoutingServices\ServiceDefinitions\publishroutingservices.log

I am currently unable to solve this error and have an ESRI support case open. Any thoughts/guidance is appreciated. I will of course share any solutions as and when I get them.

EDIT 2 - In case anyone else has encountered this error, I raised it with ESRI UK support. They investigated with my network dataset and configuration, confirmed my network dataset and system met the requirements for the utility and that it was a bug/issue with the script that they had identified and planned a fix for. I was told it will be fixed with the release of ArcGIS Server 10.6.1, which is due at some point soon, touted for "summer 2018". In the meantime my case was closed as nothing else could be done aside from waiting for the fix.

Thanks

Ryan

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is ***** a number? 

0 Kudos
RyanMartin2
New Contributor III

No it's a mixture of characters, I've just put stars there to redact it.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ok... It is the error  'option values must be strings' which suggested a number was present somewhere

0 Kudos
RyanMartin2
New Contributor III

In case anyone else has encountered this error, I raised it with ESRI UK support. They investigated with my network dataset and configuration, confirmed my network dataset and system met the requirements for the utility and that it was a bug/issue with the script that they had identified and planned a fix for. I was told it will be fixed with the release of ArcGIS Server 10.6.1, which is due at some point soon, touted for "summer 2018".

0 Kudos
FrancisSenyah
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ryan,

I'm having a very similar issue and just came across your thread.  Did you get any further with this?

Francis.

0 Kudos
RyanMartin2
New Contributor III

Hi Francis,

Unfortunately nothing yet. I am still awaiting the patch from ESRI, I checked my server again today and still no updates are available for it.

I'd suggest your best bet, if you are an ESRI customer on support, is to contact your ESRI contract manager and make it clear you would like a fix for it. The more we ask, the better the case for a fix being prioritised is.

Thanks

Ryan

0 Kudos
FrancisSenyah
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Ryan.  Yes we're also speaking with ESRI UK about the issue so will hopefully get some progress soon. 

Regards.

0 Kudos
FrancisSenyah
Occasional Contributor

Ryan,  I've been in contact with ESRI UK and they have mentioned the utility works for them with ITN data at 10.6.1, are you already on 10.6.1 and if so have you retried the utility?  Appreciated you are not using ITN..

0 Kudos
RyanMartin2
New Contributor III

Hi Francis,

Thanks for the information. I was unaware that 10.6.1 would not be delivered through the automatic update system, so that explains why I didn't notice it. I have downloaded 10.6.1 ISO for our ArcGIS Enterprise and will be applying it in late September. I'll report back if 10.6.1 fixes the issue, I hope it will.

Ryan

0 Kudos