Publish feature service to AGOL failed

Jump to solution
08-23-2015 09:33 AM
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II

I was publishing a feature service merrily (doing the overwrite) until yesterday morning when it just failed. Somehow it's just gone in AGOL. Subsequent efforts to republish or even publish with a new name have also failed. It seems to be on the ESRI side. The message is:

"Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed. Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition). Please consult the GP Results Window for enhanced error description or contact your administrator for the server logs." The only error it gives in the GP log is

ERROR 999999: Error executing function. Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition).

Not very helpful.

I am using ArcMap 10.3.1 and the National Park Service Organizational account that was working yesterday morning.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KarenFolger

The "fix" to this was to manually take down the ArcGIS Service on the SDE data, kick off the users, do a compress, analyze datasets, and rebuild indexes. We were doing this with a script weekly but not sure if it was working. We did find some orphan replicas, posted data from a version and with the compress workflow this did the trick.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Karen,

Are you using custom style symbols in the layer? There was a known issue with ArcGIS 10.2.2, which is said to be fixed at 10.3 (So, this issue should not come up at 10.3.1).

NIM102485 - Unable to publish a hosted feature service or tile..

Try using standard symbols and publish it again. Let us know your observation.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you added ArcGIS Online connection in ArcGIS Administrator?

Open the ArcGIS administrator, click ADVANCED.  Then open Manage Portal Connections and add the address for your AGOL organization.  Once the connection is added, select it and Connect. Now try publishing your services.

Think Location
0 Kudos
KarenFolger

I appreciate your reply but it's not to the error. Yes, I am signed into AGOL in ArcMap - otherwise it wouldn't start publishing to AGOL. It crashes on the server side publishing. I tried renaming to a new service name. Recreated the MXD from scratch. The thing is this was working - it just suddenly decided to fail on Saturday morning. It's a very simple service with 2 feature classes representing fires - points and polygons.

0 Kudos
KarenFolger

There are no Custom Symbols - it's all ESRI symbols. There is a multi-part polygon however. The message says Server Side publishing failed at the last step. It packages everything likes it's ready to publish and fails on what seems like the ESRI side.

0 Kudos
KarenFolger

Even more interesting - it published the Service Definition - it just doesn't create the Service.

0 Kudos
KarenFolger

It creates the Service Definition however and so when I try and publish out of AGOL in the web version I get the attached error - something about Base Tables. BaseTable Error_directFromSD.JPG

0 Kudos
KarenFolger

I exported the data from SDE into a file gdb and it then published fine. However now there is a problem with our SDE DB that seems only to apply to AGOL and nothing else. Wish I knew what it was.

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Well, this is a long shot, but do you have a Feature Class named FIRE_CurrentYear_py?

Or is that something happening on the AGOL server side?

Just wondering about the _py since a .py file is a python source....

I've also had times where I've had to change Feature names with "_" to "-"

That was usually when I had mixed versions floating around.

Like a 10.1 database that I was touching with ArcMap 10.2.2 or higher...

Time for a help ticket with Esri?

0 Kudos
KarenFolger

I already have a help ticket into ESRI but I have yet to be contacted. That's an underscore not a ".". Everything I have is 10.3.1. The name of the feature class is correct in SQL Server. The real point of all this is that is was working. It just randomly decided not to work and I have no idea why.

0 Kudos