Publish content from ArcMap to Portal

Jump to solution
05-07-2020 09:16 AM
ZianChoy
Occasional Contributor

I have some old (Python 2) geoprocessing scripts that I used to share by publishing them to ArcGIS Server. Now that my company's 10.7.1 AGS install is federated with Portal, I can't find a way to publish the same scripts to Server via Portal.

I managed to publish directly to AGS but I'm not sure how to add the content to the existing groups in Portal. I don't want everyone in my company to see the services; just a few people.

I noticed that the Portal administrator can see my stuff but I'd hate to give those credentials to all of our company's applications that use the GP services.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZianChoy
Occasional Contributor

I didn't realize that even though I was logged in as the original publisher (aka the AGS built-in "admin" account) and had admin rights in Portal, I couldn't share it to the desired group because that all-powerful account wasn't a member of the groups.

Once I added that account to a group, I could login as the built-in admin user and share the content just like you said.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VictorCoelho
New Contributor III

I had this issue before, and instead of using the Python API I made a call to the Rest API : Share Item (as item owner)—ArcGIS REST API: Users, groups, and content | ArcGIS for Developers 

The option to Share the service is only available in Arcmap.

0 Kudos
StevenRamirez
Esri Contributor

Hi Zian, 

Thank you for posting this question.  Looking forward to the future it will be recommended to try workflows previously done in ArcMap in ArcGIS Pro.  However, publishing gp services to an ArcGIS Server that is federated with a Portal instance is still possible. Once the item is finished it will show up in Portal under the publisher's content. 

Additionally the rest service URL can be added as an item to Portal. Once added you can share to the desired groups for use.  I hope this information helps. 

ZianChoy
Occasional Contributor

I didn't realize that even though I was logged in as the original publisher (aka the AGS built-in "admin" account) and had admin rights in Portal, I couldn't share it to the desired group because that all-powerful account wasn't a member of the groups.

Once I added that account to a group, I could login as the built-in admin user and share the content just like you said.

0 Kudos