Proxy Error - bad address

04-09-2015 02:15 PM
MikeBly
Occasional Contributor

HI All,

I am simply tryiing to connect from my desktop machine to ArcGIS Server via ArcCatalog (Add GIS Server). When I attempt this from my desktop machine I get the following error:

"Error:Proxy server got a bad address from remote server (verify the server is running)." If i log onto the server itself I can make the connection using the same process as described above.

The url: http://myserver:6080/arcgis

Any ideas - I see there are some discussions on this - from what I found so far, the possible solution given do not work for me. I know it must be something simple I am missing.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,

Please check and confirm the following:

1) What is the ver. of ArcGIS for Desktop and Server?

2) Have you configured ArcGIS Server with Web-Adaptor?

3) Are you able to ping the ArcGIS Server machine by hostname from the Desktop machine?

Optionally, you could also try replacing the hostname with the ip address.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
0 Kudos
MikeBly
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response.

1.Ver 10.1 on both desktop and server

2. Have not configured web adapter at this point

3. Yes - able to ping with host name from desktop machine

I will look into the configuring web adapter.

Mike

0 Kudos
AndrewBrown
New Contributor III

Mike Bly --- If I log onto the server itself I can make the connection using the same process as                     described above.

If this is a windows server and you are able to get to the ArcGIS Server Manager after logging into the ArcGIS           Server machine, then you might just need to open port 6080 in windows firewall.

MikeBly
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jay,

Configuring the Web Adapter and allowing admin access to the site allowed me to connect without a port.

http://myserver/arcgis

Thanks,

Mike

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Good to know that the issue is resolved.

Cheers!!!

Think Location
0 Kudos