Problems with ArcGIS Server Security Config for Nested Groups in Windows Active Directory

07-09-2015 01:30 PM
JoelHickok
New Contributor II

We're trying to configure our ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 to use nested groups in our domain.  We have nested groups set up looking at domain B from domain A.  User from domain B cannot login, so we followed the Esri directions to set up nested groups in a Windows Active Directory identity store.  However, when submitting the JSON code block to update the configuration to use the ASP.NET provider we get an error message (see below).  We use the testIdentityStore endpoint to get the following error from our server at https://webadaptor.ourdomain.com/arcgis/admin/security/config/testIdentityStore .

Error Message:

{

• "Instance of class 'AGSMembershipProvider.AGSADMembershipProvider' could not be created or class does not extend RoleProvider."
  • code: 500

}

I am inserting the following block, except replace by the admin login/pass.  We made sure ASP.NET 3.5 SP 1 was installed and re-ran the AGS installer to make sure the .NET module was installed.

{

"type": "ASP_NET",

"class": "AGSMembershipProvider.AGSADMembershipProvider",

"properties": {

"adminUserPassword": "[user password]",

"adminUser": "[domain]\\[user name]"

}

}

I followed the directions on this page exactly:

Using nested groups in a Windows Active Directory identity store—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | A...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoelHickok
New Contributor II

Esri support at the 2015 UC suggested that this error may be a result of the Windows Domain password containing an "@" character, which may be throwing an error with .NET.

This was never tested or confirmed because it was also determined that I didn't need to configure AGS this way anyhow.

0 Kudos