Problem viewing ArcServer Log Entries via the Rest Endpoint Admin interface

12-11-2013 09:20 AM
DanSpinosa
New Contributor II
I have a 10.1 ArcServer machine that on occasion will no longer show log entries when viewed via the rest endpoint.  The path would be http://serverName/arcgis/admin/logs/query.  What happens is zero results are returned even though I know there are log entries.  No matter the query, the JSON response I receive via the rest endpoint admin interface is:
{
  "hasMore": false,
  "startTime": 0,
  "endTime": 0,
  "logMessages": []
}

At the same time I can view log entries via the web manager interface at a url as such: http://serverName/arcgis/manager/log.html#lgf=type%2Ctime%2Cmessage%2Csource&lqlf=WARNING&lqa=last%2...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
From reading your post, it feels like the issue clears up after some time... is that true?  Is there something specific that you're doing to force queries to work again the REST Admin application (i.e., restart ArcGIS for Server, recycle an IIS app pool, restart IIS, reboot the server, etc.) or does it seem to just fix itself randomly? 

Are you positive that, prior to clicking the Query button in the REST Admin UI, the Start Time and End Time are empty or contain a valid value?  The only way I could reproduce the behavior you're describing is to actually input a value of 0 into both fields.  Otherwise, I'm able to query via the REST Admin application and the ArcGIS Server Manager application without issue. 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29782[/ATTACH]

In case the issue is related to something specific within your environment, please download, install, and run Fiddler while reproducing this behavior.  Check to see if you are getting any errors when this occurs.
0 Kudos
DanSpinosa
New Contributor II
Okay, great question!  This helped me further debug.  I think the issue is that after a while the Rest Endpoint Admin interface stops recognizing default values from the web GUI.

1)  Yes, I used the default values for the start and end time values (which is no value in GUI).  My query string is as such: http://serverName/arcgis/admin/logs/query?startTime=&endTime=&level=WARNING&filterType...

2) The default values above work for a little while, then no longer work...  When I say no longer work, I mean that zero results are returned.

3) My only fix to this has been a combination of either restarting the server, ArcServer windows service, or restarting the machine via ArcCatalog.  Sometimes one of those methods seems to restore normal behavior.

4) While the rest endpoint was non-responsive to default values within the log-query UI, I plugged in a millisecond time, and it worked!  If I used default start and end times, no data.  I then rebooted the server and all of a sudden default values work.

Thanks for your reply!
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Glad you got things working, no matter which step or set of steps made it happen!  The behavior you described seems odd, but then again I've seen other odd things happen in the Esri stack that seems to be corrected with a simple reboot or service restart.  You may want to consider reporting this behavior as a potential bug; I'm not sure if you are able to open a ticket but it may help others in the future who encounter something like this. 

Also, welcome to the Esri forums... when posting in future threads, please remember to vote up helpful responses and mark answers as correct when applicable!
0 Kudos