Private Branch version shows for all users

03-01-2022 06:42 AM
DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

dears i works on Branch version with ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1 & Enterprise 10.9.1, SQL Server 2017 Enterprise.

Also ESRI says that private versions are only accessible by the version owner and VMS admin so no one else can see private versions or even know they exist.

BUT, in my case i access Portal from ArcGIS Pro with Editor user type and Viewer role and the user could see these Private versions which created by portaladmin user.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

When you say the user can see the private version, do you mean they can access the version by adding its layers to a map and view the data (hopefully not edit it), or do you mean you can see the Default version when you click on Version Management?

0 Kudos
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

Moelsaket,

Can you comment on whether the user has any permissions from the Administrator Privileges list? Also, which user owns the underlying data?

Thanks!

Justin

0 Kudos
DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

Hi @JustinMuise  this issue related to Microsoft SQL server DB only, so I used Postgresql to see if the same issue occurred or not! and it doesn't.

so this issue (which is Private Branch version appears for all users) only happens with Microsoft SQL server.

Hope that ESRI will fix it in the next versions 

0 Kudos
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

Hi @DasheEbra ,

Can you comment on who own the underlying feature class that was used to publish the feature service? Are they the sde or dbo user by any chance?

Justin

0 Kudos
DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

Hi @JustinMuise,

the dbo user who's own the FC and portaladmin (Enterprise user) login to publish it.

0 Kudos
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

@DasheEbra ,

Branch versioning does not support having the dbo user or the sde user as the data owner since it causes the behavior as you described. In ArcGIS Pro 3.0, we will be blocking the ability to register datasets as branch for these users, and the documentation will also be updated.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks!

Justin

DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

thanks @JustinMuise  for your valuable feedback.

0 Kudos