PrintTask Error: Error: Unable to complete operation.

08-08-2017 01:53 PM
Chang-HengYang
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I appreciate your time in advance. I have the problem with the PrintTask in my application. In order to serve the sensitive data on the viewer, I enabled the Windows Authentication and disable the Anonymous Authentication in IIS 8 server for my application. The configuration of my server is listed below.

• 2012 Windows server R2
  • ArcGIS server 10.3.1
  • Web Adaptor installed

I have followed Esri/resource-proxy and proxy tests are working. I am wondering if you could provide some valuable opinions.

Thanks,

Hank

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hank,

Is it only your map services that are secured or did you also secure your print service?

0 Kudos
Chang-HengYang
New Contributor III

Hi Robert,

I appreciate your reply. Both map and print services are secure. I figured out this question by enabling the Anonymous Authentication by "IUSR" (specific user) and "Accept" (Advanced Protection) in the Windows Authentication. The print tool is working!! I feel that the parameter "IUSR" with enabling the Anonymous Authentication makes the printing tool work! However, I have no idea why the print tool is working with the parameter "IUSR" with enabling the Anonymous Authentication.

Thanks,

Hank 

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the problem with this solution is that now any user that can reach your print task will be able to print your secured services, regardless of authorization to the service itself.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Randall,

You can restrict the allowedReferers in the proxy so that only your web apps have the ability to use the proxy. By doing this I could not just use your proxy url and print service and be allowed to print.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Robert,

That's assuming the only way into the GIS Server is through a proxy. That said, an admin can certainly use firewalls or similar to prevent requests from anywhere but a specific IP range (ie: the resource hosting the proxy).

0 Kudos
Chang-HengYang
New Contributor III

Hi Randall,

Thank you for your opinions. The image below shows the authorization of our site. To access our website stills needs to provide the user name and password. Now, only several users can access the website with given username and password. Hopefully, I have answered your question.

Thanks,

Hank 

0 Kudos