Post-install hang on 10.2.1 when accessing Administrator: endless "Please Wait"

01-24-2014 02:41 PM
RaymondFlaming
New Contributor II
I have installed Server 10.2.1 on a Win 2012 server. Everything runs fine during installation. When accessing http://localhost:6080/arcgis/manager/, I am immediately greeted with an endless "Please Wait" dialogue. I do not get a dialogue for login name. Going to http://localhost:6080/arcgis/ shows a normal looking server window (albeit with no content).

This behavior is the same using fully qualified domains or ip addresses, using Chrome or IE, with firewall on or off, from an outside box or inside the server. It is also the same if I log in to the box as the arcgis user.  These are all the solutions I've found in other discussions.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
0 Kudos
20 Replies
RaymondFlaming
New Contributor II
Also, I have un-installed and re-installed, restarted the process, and rebooted the server.  None of these helped.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Can you try requesting the ArcGIS Server Manager URL from a different machine rather than from the server directly?  In other words, replace 'localhost' with your server name and then request it from your PC.
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
When I had that error, it was resolved by switching browsers. But you already did that. Also make sure you clear the cache and cookies for whatever browser you are using.
0 Kudos
JohnMiller3
Esri Contributor
Try stopping the service, then delete the server directories (contents of C:\arcgisserver), then restart the service to recreate them. Those directories may not have been fully removed when you uninstalled the first time, and could be causing a problem. It may also be worth checking to make sure the server user has full permissions on those directories after the install.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Have you tried this installation on a Win2008 Server?  I ask because if it works on a Win2008 Server, maybe it is a bug specific to a Win2012 Server.
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor
I think you have share or port issues.  Are you using a local or domain account for arcgisserver?  Have you re-run the post-installation for the arcgisserver account?  Have you checked all of your share permissions for the arcgisserer account for all of the system directories?  Does that account have write access?  Does your IT have any proxy or reverse proxy settings that you are not aware of?  Are you running WebAdaptor on the same server?  Is it listening on the correct ports?
Hope that helps-
David
0 Kudos
JosephWallis
New Contributor II
I think we may be having the same problem.  GO into your logs under the arcgisserver folder.  Are you seeing entries that say something about "Unable to connect to the identity store using SSL."

I ran post install, does nothing.  I restored the arcgisserver folder to a week earlier, nothing.
0 Kudos
RaymondFlaming
New Contributor II
Thanks for all your input. I'm still stuck, but here are my responses to the suggestions received so far (inline).

Crafty: Can you try requesting the ArcGIS Server Manager URL from a different machine rather than from the server directly? In other words, replace 'localhost' with your server name and then request it from your PC.
(I actually already tried that as noted in the op, but I just tried it again, with no luck. I�??m pretty sure the problem I�??m getting is from the arcgis server process, as it has that ESRI look to the �??Please Wait�?� dialog.)

bubbahey25: When I had that error, it was resolved by switching browsers. But you already did that. Also make sure you clear the cache and cookies for whatever browser you are using.
(Good idea, but it didn�??t change anything for me)

John Miller: Try stopping the service, then delete the server directories (contents of C:\arcgisserver), then restart the service to recreate them. Those directories may not have been fully removed when you uninstalled the first time, and could be causing a problem. It may also be worth checking to make sure the server user has full permissions on those directories after the install.
(I do not have these directories after the install by default (this is a fresh install on a new server), and restarting the service did not create them, but I created them manually and made sure the sever account has permissions. )

Michael Volz: Have you tried this installation on a Win2008 Server? I ask because if it works on a Win2008 Server, maybe it is a bug specific to a Win2012 Server.
(I don�??t have access to 2008 or r2 server at the moment�?� although I could try installing it on a desktop)

David Coley: I think you have share or port issues. Are you using a local or domain account for arcgisserver? Have you re-run the post-installation for the arcgisserver account? Have you checked all of your share permissions for the arcgisserer account for all of the system directories? Does that account have write access? Does your IT have any proxy or reverse proxy settings that you are not aware of? Are you running WebAdaptor on the same server? Is it listening on the correct ports?

(I am using a domain account, although I�??ve tried both. I have tried re-running the post-install. I�??ve checked all the account access I can think of, including giving it admin rights to rule that out. I am IT, so I�??m pretty sure IT hasn't set any settings I�??m not aware of. I am not running webadaptor. I am pretty sure it�??s not a port problem, because I am definitely getting an ArcServer spinning bar with the �??Please Wait�?� message, so I�??m hitting the web service.)

Inteller: I think we may be having the same problem. GO into your logs under the arcgisserver folder. Are you seeing entries that say something about "Unable to connect to the identity store using SSL." I ran post install, does nothing. I restored the arcgisserver folder to a week earlier, nothing.

(I have nothing in my arcgisserver logs folder�?� it�??s an empty directory. I do have logs at C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\usr\logs but there are no errors in them.)
0 Kudos
deleted-user-PgSJErWNjFC7
New Contributor
Update: Still not working, but  I installed it on a workstation (windows 7), using the same domain admin, and it works fine.  The administrator immediately popped up after install with the choose/create site dialog box etc. It is after this point that the c:\arcgisserver folders are created, which is why I didn't have any yet.  Anyway, I don't know what this shows, except that it isn't the arcgis account (used the same one from the domain), and it isn't a browser problem (used both the local browser and backwards from the server). It's something specific to Server 2012, I'm guessing.
0 Kudos