Portal for ArcGIS

09-15-2017 05:45 AM
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

So do I really need to install portal to be able to use insights. Even though we already have an organizational account for AGO.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As per the Esri documentation, both ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS are prerequisites for working with Insights.

Install Insights on Windows—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Enterprise 

At a minimum, to run the installation, you must have installed the following ArcGIS Enterprise components, either on the same machine or separately in a distributed environment:

• Portal for ArcGIS
  • ArcGIS Server

Think Location
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Erik,

Just to be specific: Insights for ArcGIS currently only works with Portal for ArcGIS with a hosting server deployment (e.g., ArcGIS Server + ArcGIS Data Store). It will work with ArcGIS Online in a future release (the team is working on this now).

Hope this helps,

ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

Derek

Thanks for the heads up. I have been reading all the documentation on portal v. AGO and trying to decide if I should spend the time and resources setting up a portal (just for a few applications that look cool) when we already have a AGO organizational account. Is this something you see happening to other applications where they will eventually will work with AGO, and not just Portal? Off the top of your head, do you have a guess how long it will be before insights works with AGO? Thanks again Derek.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Erik,

> Is this something you see happening to other applications where they will eventually will work with AGO, and not just Portal?

In general yes. The intent is to ensure that the ArcGIS client apps will work with both ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal for ArcGIS component).

> Off the top of your head, do you have a guess how long it will be before insights works with AGO?

I believe the Dev team is targeting for end of this year (2017), but this release date is not final and subject to change.

Hope this helps,