Portal 10.8.1 install issues on Windows 2016 Server Standard

08-17-2020 07:27 PM
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone had issues installing Portal 10.8.1 on Windows Server 2016 Standard? I am having an issue where the Portal installer becomes unresponsive for so long that the OS will ask to Try Again or Cancel. I keep getting this message. Does anyone else see this same problem?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Aaron Booterbaugh‌,

How long does it take to time out/not respond?

My experience with installing on Windows Server 2016 is that Portal takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes to install.

I am not sure if that is the same for everyone, but i also don't believe it is an Esri issue as the same installer file takes only about 45 minutes on Windows Server 2012 R2.

If the installer is taking a long time to install and timing out, have you tried installing silently?

Silently installing Portal for ArcGIS—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

I generally install using Powershell, from the top of my head the command is:

Start-Process "msiexec.exe" -ArgumentList "<path to the Portal for ArcGIS setup download>\setup.exe /qb INSTALLDIR=D:\myportal CONTENTDIR=D:\arcgisportal" 

I use the qb flag for the feedback (qb = basic feedback) 
If you want no feedback, use qn.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Nic

AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Nic,

Thanks for the reply. I am still having the issues. It appears that our Palo Alto Software sees the 10.8.1 Portal install as a virus and will not let it put down files. It always stops when it start to put down files. I just ran 10.8.1 Portal upgrade after I put back on 10.8.0 Portal. So it looks like the 10.8.0 installer is ok to install but the 10.8.1 installer in not ok. I have re-downloaded a new 10.8.1 install file and even did a compare on the two 10.83.1 install files and they are identical. I Looked at the install msi file 10.8.0 and 10.8.1 using Orca and discovered that the 10.8.1 installer has a lot of differences in x32 and x64 version getting installed. The 10.8.0 msi has only 64x references and the 10.8.1 has both 32x and 64x references. The 10.8.1 has some references to x64 files that are older version than the x64 versions in 10.8.0. I am going to have to go back to 10.8.0 for now.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Aaron Booterbaugh‌,

Have you checked the installer's checksum value against the one listed by Esri Inc?

In https://my.esri.com you should be able to find the checksum listed against each of the installation media (Portal for ArcGIS 10.8.1 is:

18feacad793bb3819fd7048588a7edb3

If support have said this upgrade has worked for other sites, it would likely be an issue with your particular media (maybe the download somehow corrupted) or with the environment that you are installing onto.

I have not yet upgraded my environments to 10.8.1 as I am waiting on other dependencies that are out of my control, but I know that when installing we need to run all installations by right clicking the executable and selecting "Run As Administrator" 

If that doesn't work, would it be possible to talk with your IT team and have them temporarily disable any security/anti-virus on a separate test VM and install Portal for ArcGIS 10.8.1 on that machine?

Another thing to double check, is that the Service Account permissions on install and content directories - ensure the account has the ability to modify these 2 directories.

0 Kudos
MicahWilliamson
Occasional Contributor II

Currently experiencing similar issues with a VMware install on Windows 2019 Standard.  Progress bar fills to about 2/3 way and then prompts for a cancel or retry. Quad Core Xeon proc only is using 35% - 39% and memory (16GB) hovers in the 12-13% range. Neither ArcGIS program files folder or c:/arcgisportal folders get created before it times out. IT staff is rightfully vigilant with virus and firewall concerns but I feel that should not impact/kill the install of ArcGIS Portal. 

Did the silent install work? 

Also, what (Aside from Long term Support) are we missing with rolling back to 10.8.0? 

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Micah,

Nothing works as far as 10.8.1 Portal install I am having to go back to 10.8.0. ESRI Support is looking into the installer.

0 Kudos
MicahWilliamson
Occasional Contributor II

Surprised by this. We cannot be the only ones to have tried to install 10.8.1. 

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Micah,

Not sure I have been talking to many different ESRI Premium support staff and they have all stated that this has been installed on bigger sites than mine. The strange thing is that the biggest site you can have is only 2 Portal machines no matter who uses it. I am just setting up the Portal part of the site and can not get it to install. I opened up the MSI in Orca and discovered things that makes me believe that the installer is not going to work. They are now after working with them are looking at the installer. We will see what comes from it...

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Micah,

As far is why you would want 10.8.1 Introducing ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 .

It appears that the Enterprise Builder of 10.8.1 will work but I have a multiple machine setup.

0 Kudos