Portal 10.8.1 install issues on Windows 2016 Server Standard

08-17-2020 07:27 PM
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone had issues installing Portal 10.8.1 on Windows Server 2016 Standard? I am having an issue where the Portal installer becomes unresponsive for so long that the OS will ask to Try Again or Cancel. I keep getting this message. Does anyone else see this same problem?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Micah,

As a note I am using VMware as well. Are you using Palo Alto Networks using Traps along with Windows Defender?

0 Kudos
MicahWilliamson
Occasional Contributor II

No, we do not use Palo Alto or Windows Defender

AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Micah,

Have you created a case with ESRI?

0 Kudos
MicahWilliamson

No, I was honestly easier to just install 10.7.1 the client is jumping from 10.3 so it's a brand new world anyway, the bit of difference to 10.8.1 is relatively negligible. 

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Portal 10.8 works well if you wanted to look at that.

0 Kudos
MicahWilliamson

Also, I experienced this again on another completely clean VMWare Win 2019 instance. Completely different network, completely different client. In-between the two client projects, I ran the Portal 10.8.1 installer on local desktop machine as well as AWS EC2 with no failures. Is VMWare the issue? 

Attached is what it looks like just before getting the Non-Responsive error; all the CPUs are flat. Just before the installer dies all Procs go flat.

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

What Folder path are you installing 10.8.1 into?

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

It could be VMWare issue. But we installed the Enterprise Builder on a VMWare machine with no issues.

0 Kudos
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

The difference as strange as it is was the folder path length. The Enterprise builder was on a shorted folder path than the one I tried stand alone. I have not had time to circle back on trying to install with a shorter path.

0 Kudos
DrewDowling
Occasional Contributor III

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Clean Portal 10.8.1 install on a clean windows server 2019  VM instance is giving an installer unresponsive error.

Did anybody ever find a work around?

0 Kudos