Select to view content in your preferred language

Overwriting map services on ArcGIS Server failing

01-30-2024 02:39 PM
RachelSinclair
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1 to overwrite map services on ArcGIS Server 11 for consumption by Geocortex, however the publishing fails and the existing service stops. I get the following error message on ArcGIS Server:

Could not find resource or operation 'MAP_Definition.MapServer' on the system.

However, if I hover my mouse over the start button for the service, and don't take my eyes off it, and am quick enough to click start when the services stops, it will publish!

An extremely inefficient work around I'm sure you will agree.

I have tried saving as a Service Definition File, same result.

Help 😞

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Rachel,

I think for this checking the ArcGIS Server logs might provide some better details on the issue, particularly if they are set at a debug level. Happy to take a look at these if you want to send them over to me.

I would also check to see if the service is actually overwritten. I don't think it should be possible to overwrite until the service is fully stopped and so by manually starting this during the overwriting process it might be starting the service after the publishing process checks for the service start/stop status, and before the service is fully updated.

Many thanks,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos
RachelSinclair
New Contributor II

Hi David

Thanks for replying.

The service is definitely being overwritten, I was able to overwrite a service this morning using the method I described above and the new layers appeared in the service in Geocortex Essentials.

I attach some logs that hopefully will help.

Rachel

0 Kudos
EricCreighton
New Contributor III

Hello,

We recently upgraded to 11.2 and are having the same issues, was there ever a resolution to this?  I opened a support case today, but any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Eric

0 Kudos