Overwriting a Feature Service creates an additional "replica" service in ArcGIS for Server 10.2.2

Jump to solution
12-05-2016 02:20 PM
WilliamSchoefmann
New Contributor II

I noticed that while overwriting some of my Feature Services to my ArcGIS for Server, a second service is created once the process is run and complete.  It has the name of my primary service that I'm overwriting but then has "_20161201203" for example, a time stamp of sorts.  My question is what should I be doing with this and is there any purpose for it?  I tried looking in the help for the tool but didn't find anything on this.  I've attached a screen shot to illustrate what I'm talking about when viewing the services in Server Manager.

note: these feature services are being deployed for consumption by a third party software to access, update, add, delete data in an SQL database.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The help on overwriting a service goes into a bit of detail on why it creates the duplicate service:

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

For us, I find these are services that have caches built (may happen for others ??).  The "original" cache will be put under the path with the _Date.  Then is we need to keep the same cache, we can just move the files to the updated service.  If not, I can build a new cache and eventually delete the old cache and service. 

So, best reason I can see.....it's a backup in case things go south with the update.

btw - although not mentioned, I'm finding the best way to do an update to may 10.2.2 services (still our production version) is to stop the service first, then "replace" the service.  Sometimes I have the service start automatically, sometimes not, but I also check to create the cache manually if/when the popup appears.  fwiw.

WilliamSchoefmann
New Contributor II

Ok, thanks!  That makes sense.

Thanks for the tips.  I've been overwriting them without stopping them with success but I'll take the second to stop them.  I've been setting the cache to manual as well mostly because the pre-assigned caches from ESRI were not what I was looking for.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Although off the subject somewhat...

If/when you get to the point that you are thinking about upgrading, I've been modifying a script

GitHub - eea/discomap.ServiceTransferTool: Transfer tool   and a related thread

https://community.esri.com/thread/70787#comment-647866 

I'm modifying it for our use, including using a secure settings.ini file for the user/pass for the token creation.  The nice thing about this tool and testing it on a new version is it seems like the newer versions (10.3/10.4, haven't tried 10.5 pre-release yet) are a little pickier in what warnings it will allow, so we're able to see what services may have bad links even in our production system.  (emphasis on test...my machine is an EDN licensed machine, so I'm able to wipe it out often if needed) 

This transfer too even seems to block the "drawn at all levels" warning.  We also sometimes create caches for out base maps, then since we never "query" the layers, make the .mxd lightweight so it only see the cache.  Of course, on the update/transfer we cat strange results.  So, I'm using this as a prep tool for now, and I'm using this to help clean up these issues even on our production machine now (if possible).    Eventually I hope it will work for real when we get to the point that we will setup a new server).

Anyway, not what you were asking about, but since I'm currently involved with this and it's fresh in my mind, might be  something to keep in the back of your mind for the future.

WilliamSchoefmann
New Contributor II

Oh, right on, we're just getting into really pushing out services so the more info I have the better.  Thanks.  I'm planning on pushing localized basemaps out so info on optimization of these is great.  Have you pushed out any image services using Orthoimagery mosaics?  That's on my list as well. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I have created a few Imagery services from ortho and other mosaics but I'm not expert.  I'm still waiting for the next big shipment of imagery for our state before I push out version for staff (although probably should not wait).  There are some good docs on best practices for imagery, etc.

Image Management   (this is the workbook the next link refers to)

Image Management Workflows | ArcGIS Resource Center 

Since this is starting to stray from the original question, you should probably start a new one if you have specific questions on imagery....and put it in that geonet space.  But those docs are are good start.  There are probably some tech sessions, etc on Esri Videos | E360 Videos: GIS, Events, ArcGIS Products & Industries 

WilliamSchoefmann
New Contributor II

Awesome, thanks for the info and links.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The help on overwriting a service goes into a bit of detail on why it creates the duplicate service:

WilliamSchoefmann
New Contributor II

Ah, the fine print.  Must have missed that.  Thanks!

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Don't forget to mark this question as answered.

0 Kudos